My first build. Advice requested - Updated already....

joems

Budget-ish build.  Trying to re-use some stuff I already have and/or already purchased.

Does not have to be "silent" or even that quite (it will be in the basement)

Home use.  Storing and serving HD video.  Storing pics and music (non HD).

MB: BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

Combo Deal @ newegg for $101.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.660251

RAM: Kingston HyperX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

$32

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104222

Case:  I have one of these still in the box that I would like to use:

Rosewill R101-P-BK-450W MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147091&cm_re=rosewill_case-_-11-147-091-_-Product

4 HDs (already purchased): HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000 HDS5C3020ALA632 (0F12117) 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145475&cm_re=hitachi_2tb-_-22-145-475-_-Product

Thanks.

Joe

Looks pretty solid.  I've tested that motherboard, it works well for a 12 drive or smaller server.  I personally prefer to use a single 2 GB stick of RAM instead of two 1 GB sticks as it allows you better expandability in the future, but if you already have that RAM then go for it.

Also, the board is rated for DDR3 800/1066/1333 MHz RAM, not the DDR3 1600 RAM you have.  I expect that the faster RAM will still work, but don't be too surprised if it doesn't.

Also, do you need a dual core CPU for add-ons and such?  If not, use a Sempron 140 CPU and you can save a bit of money (even cheaper than the combo).  If you already have the dual core, then no problem, use it.

If you plan to use that case. get a 5 in 3 drive cage and get space for another drive and keep them nice and cool.

If you're on a budget, at least get another 120mm fan for the  front intake that blows on the drive brackets.

you will cook those drives in there if you don't.

Thanks for the replies.

I do have an extra fan and will plan on using it.

I don't know how I picked the wrong memory.  After all the hours of research I was probably just slap-happy .....

Also, I was thinking the dual-channel memory thing was better that the single.

Going dual-core was about $20 more, but I thought it would be better if I did do some add-on's, which I will proabaly eventually do.

Thanks again.

Joe

Running the same amount of memory in dual channel vs. single is better, performance-wise.  Rajahal is right that you lose some potential expandability (or at least you lose the chance to expand without replacing your previous RAM completely) but, by the same token, if you ever do go to 4GB, you're going to want to buy the same model DIMM as you already own.  Depending on how long you go before upgrading, that may or may not be an issue.

Also, at around 10 bucks less than a dual channel 4GB kit, that dual channel 2GB kit is a pretty poor value.  If you were willing to spend that, I'd say spend $11 more and get a 4GB kit.  It might be more than you need, but maybe it saves you time/money in the long run.

I would avoid using the PSU that came with that case.  Judging from Newegg's pictures, the PSU has a switch to go between input voltages, which is a clear indication that the internals are based on outdated tech, and that's very likely just the beginning.  I realize it's a significant additional expense, but I would recommend replacing the PSU.  My recommendation would be the Antec Neo Eco 400W.  It's based on a solid Seasonic platform, so it's reliable, even if it's not the most efficient PSU out there.  Another option is the Corsair CX430.  It's cheaper, especially after rebate, and will (by my rudimentary calculations) more than suffice for the maximum number of green drives you can cram in that thing (11 by my count, assuming a 5 in 3 module and that the external 3.5' bays will take drives no problem).  I don't like the new CX series, they're overrated (that is, the supplies wattage ratings are inaccurate) and not up to Corsair's previous standards.  Given the actual wattage of the supply (the CX430 is really a 380W supply) it's not necessarily a bad unit, or a bad price, but you should understand what you're getting.

I do agree with the memory. especially if you want to run directory caching or other add-ons. pop the extra few bucks now.

As far as the power supply, Alecthar does make a good valid point, but you can always swap that out in a month or so after you get your machine built if it is not in your budget.

Use your upfront front money to get the "best you can buy" now of what parts you dont yet have to get up and running. then as you get more money for "upgrades", replace things like the power supply, better fans, or get a drive cage as you can afford them or when a good sale hits.

I differ somewhat on the idea of the PSU being an "upgrade."  In any system, a good PSU is a necessity, and that's even more true for server (even home server) applications, where the system is likely to go for significant periods of time without a power down.  I agree that it's likely that the generic PSU that came with the case will likely suffice for a time, but it's far more likely than a good quality supply would be to negatively affect the short and long term health of the system.

My opinion is that it's worth delaying being up and running to ensure that, when you are, clean and consistent power is being delivered to your components.  Betting on the unknown (but likely poor) quality of a generic PSU, even in the short term, can backfire, sometimes spectacularly.