Replacing* Nerdpack/Devtools with slackpkg

I love unraid.  It's slick.  It's powerful.  And it is the only time raid has actually saved my data on consumer grade hardware.  But.

Well, it's on slackware.  And slackware is like your grandpappy coming over and grousing about all these fancy package managers, conveniences, and cruft that other distros tart themselves up with.  No, you must EARN your ability to have python: preferably have compiled it from source -- while forging the tools you need to build it from source as well.

But like Prometheus brought fire from the Gods at great cost, there are tools that will uh, sorta, make life easier and upgradable:

# Download slackpkg to /root (https://slackpkg.org/stable/slackpkg-15.0.10-noarch-1.txz)
# Install slackpkg with `installpkg /root/slackpkg.txz`
# vi /etc/slackpkg/mirrors and uncomment 1 mirror (https://slackpkg.org/documentation.html)
# vi /etc/slackpkg/slackpkg.conf -- DIALOG=off
# slackpkg install dialog-1.3_20211214-x86_64-1
# slackpkg install gpgme-1.16.0-x86_64-3
# slackpkg install gnupg-1.4.23-x86_64-4 (This is the package that slackpkg expects for verification)
# slackpkg update gpg
# slackpkg install python3-3.9.14-x86_64-1_slack15.0
# 

You can continue using the only training wheels you're going to get on slackware on the cli, or automate with ansible (https://docs.ansible.com/ansible/2.9/modules/slackpkg_module.html). 

Now the warning.  I am but a journeyman linux fellow that loves to proceed disasters with a casually drawled "hold my beer" and slackware (and unraid itself) protect you from world ending disasters for most users while offering a lot of what you could get at a lower level.  Tread lightly, and do not look to the Neckbeards for salvation when things go kablooey.

This was a speed run, quickly googled together and verified once.  You hath been warned.

EDIT:  slackpkg is limited compared to Nerd/Dev plugins so I ended up installing linuxbrew in a second account.  This is even more off the rails, but I've done it before I found the plugins that gave me extra tools in a less janky fashion.  You'll need these to get the most flexibility out of homebrew.

slackware_common:
  - zsh-5.8-x86_64-3 # or use existing bash
  - gcc-11.2.0-x86_64-2
  - procps-ng-3.3.17-x86_64-2
  - file-5.41-x86_64-1

Edited by borland502
additional info / removed unnecessary package
  • borland502 changed the title to Replacing* Nerdpack/Devtools with slackpkg