Reolink cameras and Unraid

DanielPT

Hi all

I have just made my Unraid server running :)

I want to use my Unraid server as a video storage for my cameras.

But what is the best way to do this?

And if i like to access my cameras with the reolink app how can i do that if the "reolink" application is not running?

Thanks!

Regards Daniel

19 hours ago, jfoxwu said:

I am running 2 reolink poe camera (RLC-520) with my system.

I used to run the shinobi NVR and recently converted to frigate NVR.

Other than the image quality not being great, I have no complaint with the camera.

Watch this series videos by spaceinvader1. It will give you idea for where to start.

Thanks!

Why did you switch to frigate NVR?

How mutch disk space does it require with youre setup? :)

Thanks!

I switched over to frigate NVR because its better integration with Home Assistant. I can set up automation based on objects and zones. I also use Home Assistant app as my way of accessing the camera feeds from outside the house, which answer your question on not using the reolink app. I have been toying with compreface facial recognition (which also integrate nicely with frigate) lately, and this is when I found out reolink's camera image quality is a bit sub-par. I read some discussion on Home Assistant subreddit suggesting dahua, hikvision, or amcrest instead.

The storage space used really depends on how you setup the NVR. For example, I set it to only record when "human" object is detected in my drive way, and the recordings are only kept for 14 days. I have about 350GB of recording data right now for your reference.  

• Like 2
20 hours ago, jfoxwu said:

I switched over to frigate NVR because its better integration with Home Assistant. I can set up automation based on objects and zones. I also use Home Assistant app as my way of accessing the camera feeds from outside the house, which answer your question on not using the reolink app. I have been toying with compreface facial recognition (which also integrate nicely with frigate) lately, and this is when I found out reolink's camera image quality is a bit sub-par. I read some discussion on Home Assistant subreddit suggesting dahua, hikvision, or amcrest instead.

The storage space used really depends on how you setup the NVR. For example, I set it to only record when "human" object is detected in my drive way, and the recordings are only kept for 14 days. I have about 350GB of recording data right now for your reference.  

That sound very nice! 

I have a working Home assistant i will bee transfering from my Windows server to my Unraid server.

Is it hard to setup? Any good guides?

Thanks for all the answer!

The first big decision for you is whether to run HA as docker or VM.

If VM, then you can do exactly what you do currently (I am assuming you are running full HomeAssistant OS right now). You can simply export and then import your instance.

If docker, then you will have to understand there is no add-on store on HomeAssistant-Core, and many services will be run as a separate dockers.

The transition is quite easy (I used to run full HA on rasp pi), just put all the dockers on the same docker network, and everything can then be configured in the UI just like before.

• Like 1