Asus thunderbolt and egpu

Menaan

Hello,

I'm attempting to get an egpu working through a thunderbolt 4 ex card on an asus motherboard with unraid. I've gotten this to work under ubuntu, but I can't seem to get unraid to work.

If I look at my devices, the thunderbolt card is detected:

IOMMU group 18:				[8086:1136] 05:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Thunderbolt 4 Bridge [Maple Ridge 4C 2020] (rev 02)
IOMMU group 19:				[8086:1136] 06:00.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Thunderbolt 4 Bridge [Maple Ridge 4C 2020] (rev 02)
IOMMU group 20:				[8086:1136] 06:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Thunderbolt 4 Bridge [Maple Ridge 4C 2020] (rev 02)
IOMMU group 21:				[8086:1136] 06:02.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Thunderbolt 4 Bridge [Maple Ridge 4C 2020] (rev 02)
IOMMU group 22:				[8086:1136] 06:03.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Thunderbolt 4 Bridge [Maple Ridge 4C 2020] (rev 02)
IOMMU group 23:			 	[8086:1137] 07:00.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Thunderbolt 4 NHI [Maple Ridge 4C 2020]
IOMMU group 24:			 	[8086:1138] 09:00.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Thunderbolt 4 USB Controller [Maple Ridge 4C 2020]
Bus 005 Device 001 Port 5-0		ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 006 Device 001 Port 6-0		ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub

And I know that at least at a some level it knows that a Razor Core X is plugged into this card because if I go to /sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices/  the 0-1 device name is Core X.

root@unraid-test:/sys/bus/thunderbolt/devices/0-1# cat device_name
Core X

But, no matter what I do I can't seem to get unraid to show the 3070 ti that is plugged in to show up anywhere.  I've poked around and read a bunch of different things but can't find any solution to this.

I've seen posts about thunderbolt security and I've scoured my bios looking for thunderbolt security settings and cannot find any.

I found this article: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.13/admin-guide/thunderbolt.html with a method for trusting all devices using a 99-local.rule but even with implementing that rule that gpu doesn't show up.

Also to note I've tried hot plugging the egpu as well as having it pluged in durring boot, neither make a difference.

I did find a bios setting for discreet thunderbolt and I tried enabling that but that doesn't make a difference either.

I'm testing on Unraid 6.11.5, all firmware is updated.

Can anyone help me with what I need to do to get this gpu detected (my ultimate goal being to pass thru to a VM).

Thanks

So, I managed to find some settings that seem to work.  If anyone else sees this and has a similar problem, in the bios I had to enable the discrete thunderbolt option, and then in the settings for that I had to disable the windows 10 thunderbolt setting.

I still have the 99-local.rules implemented so I don't know if that is effecting it as well or not, I may try removing that later and if I do I'll edit this post to update if it still works without that or not.  But once I actually got it to show up, passing my 3070ti through to a vm was very easy.  I just selected it in the VM settings, didn't have to provide the rom or anything like I've seen in some other pass thru walk throughs.

Edited by Menaan