Migrating unRAID drives to new computer hardware

dchamb

I am going to move my unraid server to a new Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake system and ASUS X690-R Prime motherboard. I have 2 parity drives, 4 array drives (3 reiserfs/1 xfs), and a 1TB Samsung SSD (cache).  Anything I need to do to move the drives to the new hardware? Do I need to keep the cable and drive assignments the same? Will it affect the second parity drive?

The most important thing to do is to make sure the same disks (identified by serial numbers) are in the same exact slots as shown in the unraid Ui. Best to take screenshot of Unraid main tab as a reference. If you are reusing your existing usb, you should retain that config

It doesn't matter how the drives are physically connected, as long as they are directly presented to unraid os (no using a raid controller or anything that might hide the native drive behind an abstraction). So cables, sata slots etc aren't important to match. If the drives are all visible, and config is retained, unraid will work it out

10 minutes ago, apandey said:

The most important thing to do is to make sure the same disks (identified by serial numbers) are in the same exact slots as shown in the unraid Ui. Best to take screenshot of Unraid main tab as a reference. If you are reusing your existing usb, you should retain that config

It doesn't matter how the drives are physically connected, as long as they are directly presented to unraid os (no using a raid controller or anything that might hide the native drive behind an abstraction). So cables, sata slots etc aren't important to match. If the drives are all visible, and config is retained, unraid will work it out

Thanks apandey,

I thought that might be the case but I was concerned about something I read regarding parity2 (implying it was position dependent). Maybe it was referring to your point that the drives are in the same slots as shown in the unraid UI. I do plan to reuse the same usb. 

In the new system, there will be an NVMe drive that I plan to use in addition to the 1TB Samsung existing cache drive. When I bring up the new configuration I expect the existing cache drive will show up on the UI and the new NVMe drive will show as an unassigned drive. I can add that later to my cache pool.

8 hours ago, dchamb said:

When I bring up the new configuration I expect the existing cache drive will show up on the UI and the new NVMe drive will show as an unassigned drive. I can add that later to my cache pool.

I would expect that. Be sure you see same disk layout in UI. Also, don't proceed with starting the array if you see any issues

Since you have a spare nvme on new server, I suggest you boot it up once with a new unraid trial usb to check if all your hardware is supported. That way you know upfront of any driver support issues etc. before you start tearing down old server. I had one mobo with an unsupported Ethernet adapter once