Windows Backups Failing

RJMarch

Hello!

I've been looking through various articles and while some of it has been helpful, I'm not entirely sure I've been able to find a solution and I'm hoping to save a few days of time.  I recently completed my new NAS with UnRaid and the general set up is this:

• Array:
    • 1 Array
  • Drives:
    • 3 8tb Seagate Drives
    • 1 12tb Seagate Parity Drive
    • 500gb cache NVME
  • Shares:
    • File Share for Windows
    • Plex Share for Plex Files
  • Current Usage
    • Plex Server which I'm slowly filling up.
    • File Share for additional storage as well as Windows Backups

The issue I'm having is with Windows Backup.  Whether I use Windows, Acronis, or another one I can't remember they keep failing.  Initially it seemed I had the cache configured wrong and it would fail if the cache drive became filled.  However, it continues to fail now as all of the data (Plex and Windows) seems to be being written to the first disk in the array. 

I believe that this is because the array was set to high water and would put everything on the first disk and if the backup was too large it would fail when the disk was filled.  I was going to change the behavior to most free but I have a few questions:

• Would this potentially solve my current problem if the backup size is less than the free space on the other disks?
  • If my backup were to exceed the size of a drive in the future, would it fail?  I have read that UnRaid will not split these saves/uploads/files between disks but I'm not 100% sure.  If this is the case, should I set up separate backups for the different drives on my PC so that they are treated separately?

Thank you for any help.

• 2 months later...

Yes and no.  All of my shares are still High Water but I was able to force Plex onto one disk (I can't remember how) and the Windows share onto a separate.  This allowed Acronis to run the backup correctly but Windows Backup would still error out.  I also haven't tested what happens when I hit the disk limit again but I took time away from dealing with this and some other issues I'm having with UnRaid.  Wish I could help more.