How does unRAID handle Storage Tiering, Load Balancing, and Storage QoS ? Now and in the Future ?

How does unRAID handle Storage Tiering and Storage QoS ? Now and in the Future ? Load balancing across mixed media ?

I would like to build Universal Storage servers this makes the most sense all things said and done.

I would like to do Storage Tiering with all types of Storage currently available to me wherever I can source them.

With and without ECC, power loss protection, enterprise or 'noname' - I put in the whole thing.

I think the best unRAID endgame is to have auto-tier-discovery in Software and some auto-config.

1. RAM which is or is not backed by UPS-ing the storage server

2. nvdimm or battery backed RAM

3. low latency high iops pci-e / nvme such optane or some nvdimms

4. pci-e or datacenter fabric NVMeOF and the big HPC and supercomputing stuff - this is realistic to support because this is on ebay all the time 3 years within release or even if its 13 years after release I still put it in the storage / VM machines I build

5. low latency pci-e nvme such as some newer models and some enterprise models, with or without power loss protection

N. New HDDs

N. Old HDDs

N. SMR HDDs

N. HDDs beyond their service life

N. Some cheap flash

N. Perfocard

N. carving on cave wall

What do you think and what can we expect and what can we do when we mix all these?

Edited by GRRRRRRR
and Load balancing across mixed media
  • GRRRRRRR changed the title to How does unRAID handle Storage Tiering, Load Balancing, and Storage QoS ? Now and in the Future ?