Questions about CPU resources and pinning

Pulteney

I'm running a i5 13500, with 6 P-cores and 8 E-cores.

Currently I have isolated P-core 2-6 and pinned them to a Windows 10 VM. As I understand, Unraid will always utilize core 1, even if you isolate it?

I have isolated and pinned two E-cores to a VM instanace of  Alpine Linux running only Adguard Home in docker. Running Adguard in a VM because of constant issues with port 53 and DNSMASQ of the VM system.

This leaves 1 P-core and 6 E-cores for Unraid and its around 20 docker containers. How much resources does Unraid really need to run smoothly?

For people who have experimented a bit, does this sound like an OK way to split resources?

33 minutes ago, apandey said:

Are you doing anything intensive on that VM that needs dedicated cpu resources? I always start with no isolation / pinning and only look at this when I encounter a cpu saturating workload

Not really. Mainly web browsing and video playback using Madvr, so high GPU usage but not CPU.

Still, Unraid should be more than fine with one P-core and five E-cores, right? Maybe I'll try undoing all isolation just to see how it feels.