Generate SSL certificate for Supermicro IPMI webserver

I run unRAID on a Supermicro X10SDV-TLN4F motherboard which has IPMI capabilities. I'm able to access the IPMI webserver, but it seems the SSL certificate has expired. The web interface does have a facility for uploading a new certificate and key. I don't have any experience of this and am a bit worried about locking myself out or otherwise messing up the IPMI webserver.

My googling couldn't find any definitive method of generating the required files and uploading. For example, Certbot seems to cover situations where I'm the owner of the website, but this is the Supermicro webserver for using IPMI. There are examples of people generating the required files but not being able to upload them or having the files rejected.

How should I go about updating the certificates? I don't mind trying to generate the certificates and uploading them. But is there any risk of something going wrong? I'd be happy to know that the files will either get accepted or rejected. Worst case would be being able to upload some bad files and then being unable to access the webserver after that.

• 7 months later...

For all those following this avidly, I finally solved this by contacting Supermicro support, who were very helpful. In the end it just required updating the BMC. After that I was able to connect to the server via the Web GUI (using the IPMI IP address) and use iKVM/HTML5. This avoided various Java complications which kicked out certificate errors.