We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Last Parity Check

duncan

Recommended practice is to run parity checks about once a month, and before and after making physical changes to the array (like adding drives...).

There is a button on the main screen on the web interface that will start the parity check.  You can use the array as normal while the parity check is running.

Regards,

Stephen

My Array Status has a line which says "Last parity check  93  days ago" The 93 is in red. Should I run a parity check? If so, how?

Duncan

Nice to see that the red font triggered you to run a parity check!  I put that logic into unmenu many moons ago ...  8)

In case anyone is interested,

If your last parity check is less than 30 days ago, the number of days is in normal font.

If between 30 and 60 days, it turns bold.

If between 60 and 90 days, background is yellow

If over 90 days, background is red

Always good to do a parity check monthly.  And always do a parity check after a parity build.  Although unRAID records the parity build date as if it were the last parity check, the build does NOT check parity.

For someone like me, brought up to read manuals, I was reluctant to do anything without knowing the outcome. I did try to find this in the documentation, but couldn't.

Thanks for the clarification, and a great system. Sooo refreshing for a Windows baby.

Duncan

came across this post, mine is at 73 days, and went to do a verify , but cant see the button anywhere!

am i being stupid ,closest i have seen is

http://tower:8080/array_management

then the button that says "check parity" ?

If the button in unmENU to verify parity does not show, you are running a version of unRAID prior to the "verify only" being available, or, you've done something else to confuse it. 

What version of unRAID are you running?

If the button in unmENU to verify parity does not show, you are running a version of unRAID prior to the "verify only" being available, or, you've done something else to confuse it. 

What version of unRAID are you running?

Got it sorted, i have 4 disks in, parity (2tb), 2tb storage (disk1) , 1tb storage (disk2), and .5tb (disk3)

i removed disk3 (via web page), and made it a cache disk, unraid was complaining (red light against disk3)

So to fix, made sure the cache disk was blank, stopped the array , made it a storage drive

Let it do its stuff, and parity button is their now.

Archived