Procedure to pull a syslog?

My server shutdown suddenly for some reason, I have not started it back up because I want to pull the syslog first. but reading the procedure it appears I need to start the server back up to access the syslog. Won't that erase the syslog?

I was under the impression that switching on the server will start a parity check automatically which sounds like it will make a new syslog. I have pulled the flash drive out and put it in my other PC is there a way to get the syslog that way or can someone hand hold me through the process, noob here.

Thanks.

My server shutdown suddenly for some reason, I have not started it back up because I want to pull the syslog first. but reading the procedure it appears I need to start the server back up to access the syslog. Won't that erase the syslog?

No, shutting down erases it. It is in a in-RAM file system.

I was under the impression that switching on the server will start a parity check automatically which sounds like it will make a new syslog. I have pulled the flash drive out and put it in my other PC is there a way to get the syslog that way or can someone hand hold me through the process, noob here.

Thanks.

If not shut down cleanly it will start a parity check.  That has nothing to do with the syslog being lost when you reboot or lose power.

Archived