What happens when reiserfsck --rebuld-tree fails?

gonzo

Hi Everyone,

I am running a small unraid setup and recently, after a few problems and running the fcsck utility I was told to run --rebuld-tree, which I did withour backing anything up beforehand.

Now that particular HD doesnt mount any longer, and I have reports of hardware failure after running --rebuld-tree, and I am not entirely sure what to do.

I am not sure if this means that I can't recover some pieces of info or that I can't recover all pieces of info on that HD.

The other problem is that it keeps showing as unformatted on the web GUI, I am yet to put a parity drive in place (still building the server up) and I am not really sure what my options are.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Everyone,

I am running a small unraid setup and recently, after a few problems and running the fcsck utility I was told to run --rebuld-tree, which I did withour backing anything up beforehand.

Now that particular HD doesnt mount any longer, and I have reports of hardware failure after running --rebuld-tree, and I am not entirely sure what to do.

I am not sure if this means that I can't recover some pieces of info or that I can't recover all pieces of info on that HD.

The other problem is that it keeps showing as unformatted on the web GUI, I am yet to put a parity drive in place (still building the server up) and I am not really sure what my options are.

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance.

if the hardware has failed, you are out of luck.  It is the reason I always suggest the parity drive be installed FIRST, before the data is loaded.  At least then there is a chance of recovering from a bad disk in the initial population of the array with data.

Without a parity drive, all you can do is reformat the drive and hope, if it is writable, you will succeed. 

Since you did not post a syslog, nobody can give other than general advice.  Make sure the power and data connectors are seated well.  Get a SMART report.  See if the disk is responding at all.  A disk will show as unformmated if it cannot be  mounted as a reiser file-system.  If the file-system is corrupted, it will not mount.

Thank Joe - I am still getting to know the software.

I didn't expect much, but I really should have copied my data off before doing the rebuild (all that was happening is that the shares were coming up as read-only). The HDD picks up fine and I can reformat it, but there is no chance of un-deleting the data somehow, is there?

The other issue I have now is since I took the HDD out, it keeps saying that the HDD is missing and the array cannot start. I have tried removing the HDD from the device list, but it's still showing up on the GUI as missing? I keep reading up that there should be an option to restart the array, but I don't seem to see it - not sure what's up with that.

When I get home tonight I will pop the HDD back in, re-format it and then take it out of the array properly.

PS. Sorry for not providing syslogs, but would it have helped here in any case?

This is now going downhil and I am no longer even concerned about the lost data - thanks for your help anyway Joe.

I would like to remove the exsisting broken HDD from the array, but I am unable to do so and I am also unable to add a device as parity either - it doesn't even come up on the list of detected HDD's.

If I leave the broken HDD in the array, it starts, but says HDD is unformatted. When I try to format it, it comes up with a read error. If I remove the HDD it says missing. If at any time I try and add the parity HDD, it doesn't come up in the list of detected HDD's in the Device dropdowns. I actually connot even add any more drives as the dropdowns are just empty.

Suggestions please?

Archived