Possible to create 2 shares for same folder? 1 read only and 1 read/write?

Hi there.  I have about 15 drives in my Unradi 4.5.6 server and I want to create 2 shares for several of my folders so that my family does not accidentally delete anything in the Movies or other folders.

They can be completely different names like Movies and Movies RW but both pointing to the same share.

Is there any newly introduced method to do this?

I saw an old post and it was suggested to make share RO and access via the disks to change but I have 15 drives and that is too much to manage manually.  Defeates the purpose of Unraid IMHO.

Thanks for any help!

I just use multiple logins.

My Login ID has read/write. (as does administrator and root)

my HTPCs all have the user login of "HTPC" and a password of "password" with a permission of read only

my Girlfriend uses her login id and password. her unraid access is read only for all shares but her personal file share. that one is read/write.

I created a share named "Admin" which requires a login and is mounted to "/mnt". One folder, one login, full read/write access to all my files. All my other shares are set to read-only and use a guest account that doesn't require authentication.

The only downside to this method is that you have to manually create your shares in the smb-extra.conf file.

tweakstur -  most promising idea.

Does the Admin mount show all shared folders so I can access any of them?  How do I configure that????

Is there a guest account? I have to look up how to add users.  Never done that before.

I need to avoid user logins in as I am using Windows 7 Media Center with Media Browser for GUI access to movies for the family.

A login probably would not work here as Media Browser scans the shares for newly added movies.

Thaks all for the suggestions!

Try creating a file called smb-extra.conf on the flash in the config folder I believe. Use this as contents;

[All_Shares]

path = /mnt/user

read only = no

Then, set the user shares to read only. This will give another share that is read/write. Just don't assign it in Media Center and your family won't see it there.

The problem with logging-in is that the log-in sticks until the Windows machine is either logged-out or rebooted. So, you can't just log-in and then leave the computer running or else the next user to come will also have access. In other words, you'll pretty much have to set-up at least 2 different users on the HTPC to have different unRAID access levels.

Peter

tweakstur -  most promising idea.

Does the Admin mount show all shared folders so I can access any of them?  How do I configure that????

Is there a guest account? I have to look up how to add users.  Never done that before.

I need to avoid user logins in as I am using Windows 7 Media Center with Media Browser for GUI access to movies for the family.

A login probably would not work here as Media Browser scans the shares for newly added movies.

Thaks all for the suggestions!

I mounted the Admin share to /mnt, which gives you access to every single drive (including USB flash) and the user folder.

My guest account is named "nobody". I can't recall how to add new samba users, so just double check what version you're running and google it. The documents are pretty straightforward.

Here's my samba-extra.conf. I believe I had to change it once I updated to v5.0 beta, so it may need to be adjusted.

guest account = nobody
          map to guest = bad password

[Admin]
          path = /mnt
          writeable = yes
  valid users = tweakstur 
          create mask = 0777
          directory mask = 0777
          map hidden = no
          map system = no
          map archive = no
          map readonly = yes