We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Reserve a drive for MP3 share (drive already has data on it)

So the way I set up my unRAID was that my shares span all my drives going to the most free.  I have a fairly new 2TB drive that's 17% used.  Now, I want to make my (empty) MP3 share to use *only* for that drive and exclude all other shares from that drive.  I want to do this because Subsonic keeps my drives awake and with my current MP3 situation, where they're in another share that's spanned, doesn't work. 

If I exclude this drive from other shares, will the data that's already on those drives move to the next drive with the most free data? If not, can I go in via SFTP or SSH and move them from /mnt/drive20 to /mnt/user/<shares>??

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Joe L.

I've got a question tho....should I just run

mv /mnt/disk17/Movies/HD /mnt/user/Movies/HD

??

I'd feel more comfortable running with RSYNC since it has some verification that things got moved over correctly.  Is there a problem doing rsync instead of a move then deleting them off of disk17 when done?

I just tried rsyncing the data:

rsync -av --stats --progress /mnt/disk17/DVD-R/ /mnt/user/DVD-R/

and RSYNC said no files got transferred:

Number of files: 658
Number of files transferred: 0
Total file size: 165617427761 bytes
Total transferred file size: 0 bytes
Literal data: 0 bytes
Matched data: 0 bytes
File list size: 17133
File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
Total bytes sent: 17660
Total bytes received: 526

Color me confused.  I thought those files only existed on disk17.  I use MOST FREE as my Allocation method and have excluded DISK17 from all shares.  Do I also need to incl. Disk1-16 & 18-20 too?

Even if you exclude the disk, the share is still on the disk and the data in the share is still included as part of the user share. Excluding a disk after it already holds a user share just means no new data is written to that user share.

So, Rename the share on disk17 to something else (eg tempMovies) and then do the rsyc from tempMovies to Movies. Delete tempMovies when done.

Peter

Even if you exclude the disk, the share is still on the disk and the data in the share is still included as part of the user share. Excluding a disk after it already holds a user share just means no new data is written to that user share.

So, Rename the share on disk17 to something else (eg tempMovies) and then do the rsyc from tempMovies to Movies. Delete tempMovies when done.

Peter

This helped me out a lot.  Thank you so much!

Archived