Server Crash Takes Down Entire Network

I started experiencing a very bizarre issue recently. I woke up one morning to find that my entire network was down. Initially I assumed an ISP outage but found that I was still able to connect to my VPN (the VPN server runs from my router, not Unraid) from my phone via 5g. After much experimenting I discovered that once I unplugged the ethernet from my Unraid box my network instantly came back online. It has since happened two more times and pulling the ethernet brought my network back online both times. I want to say this started happening after upgrading to 6.12.0 but I am not completely confident in that timeline. I have since upgraded to the latest 6.12.3 and still experienced the issue.

I can provide diagnostics but I'm not sure how useful they'll be. Once this issue occurs I am unable to access Unraid until I hard boot the server. I connected an hdmi to attempt to see the console but I can't get video until I hard boot the server. I normally run the server headless. I am unable to get network access to the server as well until a hard boot is performed.

I'm hoping to find some advice on how to troubleshoot this issue.

morioh-diagnostics-20230720-2008.zip

Back when I did GPU mining I observed similar behavior when something went wrong with a computer using an Intel NIC. Eventually found it was broadcast flooding that was causing the network to bind up. Your issue may have nothing to do with my experience but thought I would mention it.

One thing that helped to prevent the whole network from having issues was to enable storm control or broadcast flood protection on the managed switch. Not all switches offered this option (especially not on home switches) but it would isolate the issue to just the one computer.

Alternatively a non intel Network Interface Card would not have the same fault.

Alternatively maybe someone more familiar with UnRaid will be able to find out why 6.12 is giving so many people so many issues. 

• 8 months later...

@rangusT this sounds exactly like the issue I just experienced tonight. I was streaming on my Shield, finished a Prime TV show, then it suddenly couldn't connect to the internet.  After investigating I found not all devices lost internet and every device hardwired appeared in my Wifi router except the unraid server. When I unplugged unraid server, every device regained connection.

Did you happen to figure out the cause?

• 2 weeks later...