Help! USB memory stick seems to be wiped. (Solved)

Ok guys, I am at a loss for this one.

I have been moving files around on my array for the last two days and I have been having quite a bit of trouble doing it.  I was using Teracopy to move files from one share to another and it would lock up and eventually tell me that it lost access to the share even though I could clearly access it using Windows Explorer.  

I decided to do it internally and followed the post that explaines how to move files internally on the Unraid server.  I started 3 sessions all moving from and to different drives.

Last night, most of the files were transferred but several of the drives were still showing activity so I let it go all night.  Same activity this morning and all the data appeared to be moved.

I could access the drives themselves but not any shares from any of my computers.

I initiated a shutdown of the array at about 8AM.  At 2PM, it was still showing dismounting and I gave up and physically powered down the array.

Rebooting brings me to the prompt and showed  "Could not find kernel image: linux"

I powered off the array, removed the memory stick and placed it in my Win 7 machine only to find that the memory stick is completely empty!  There are no files on it at all!

So, what do I do now?  Cry?  

I have a backup from 6 months ago wjust before I switched from 4.3 beta 6 to 4.5.6.  

I  have rearraged some files to some new shares since then.

Any ideas what happened?  Is there a recovery possible?

It's a Sandisk Cruzer 2.0 gb USB stick.

Thanks for any help!

Update:  Used a flash drive recovery program to recover files.

Unfortunatly, many of the files are empty.

disk.cfg and ident.cfg are both empty.  Several of my share configs are empty as well.\

I can see my old files had info in them but I think some of it might have changed.

Is it possible to start from scratch?  Just install a fresh Unraid to the memory card and then let it detect the folders on each drive and set up shares?  I would have to rebuild parity but since I am not in a state of failed drive, that should not matter, right?

Update:  Used a flash drive recovery program to recover files.

Unfortunatly, many of the files are empty.

disk.cfg and ident.cfg are both empty.  Several of my share configs are empty as well.\

I can see my old files had info in them but I think some of it might have changed.

Is it possible to start from scratch?  Just install a fresh Unraid to the memory card and then let it detect the folders on each drive and set up shares?  I would have to rebuild parity but since I am not in a state of failed drive, that should not matter, right?

Basically, it is very easy... Just re-assign the drives to their respective slots in the array.  Make sure you get the parity drive assigned to the parity slot.  It you do not know which is the parity drive, do not assign it at all.  Instead assign ALL as data drives.  The one that shows as unformatted will be your parity drive, as it has no file-system.  Then, un-assign it as a data drive, assign it to its parity slot, and you'll be able to re-calculate parity when you next start the array.

Phew!  That had me scared there for a few.

I loaded a fresh Unraid 5b12 and ID the cache drive so all appears good.  It's running a sync now so hopefully by tomorrow, I will be back in business.

Sync is fairly slow, showing 19mb/sec.

Thanks for all your help!

Archived