We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Random System crashes after upgrading from 6.9

Hi, I had been running OS 6.9 for a while without issues, when OS 6.10 was released, I upgraded and started to experience random crashes.  I’ve tried to upgrade as new releases come out, hoping it will resolve my issue, and most recently updated to 6.12.3, but my system is still hanging (no access to shares or web page).   I use UnRAID as a backup device so don’t keep it running all the time…that’s why I was able to live with the crashes, but figured I should try to find a fix for my problem since I would like to upgrade some of my drives and would hate to have it crash while rebuilding the array.

Is there a way to reinstall my system while keeping my current drive setup, shares, settings etc?  Or any other troubleshooting tips?

Thank you!

Edited by Hammer8

Hi, as an update to the above, I now realize the system is not hanging.  It seems it becomes unresponsive (no web dashboard and no access to shares) after a period of time, but if I log on to the physical server itself (via the command line via physical keyboard and monitor attached to the server), it will “wake“ the system up and the web dashboard and the shares come back to life.

For example, right now, it is parity checking the array and I can see the drive enclosure lights blinking, but after a while, the lights will stop and I’ll lose web and share access.  And then when I go and hit enter a few times while logged into the command line, the system will wake and the lights will starting blinking again and the parity check continues.

Very strange.  Does UnRAID go to sleep after a period of time?  That would be very strange given it’s a fileserver, but I have to admit, I am a noob here.

Any thoughts on this behavior?

PS - if it’s any clue, I find that only hitting enter on the physical keyboard attached to the server will “wake” it up.  If I hit enter from the Web cli page, it will not wake it up.

Thanks!

Edited by Hammer8

Hi, as an update, I found the issue.  It seems the S3 Sleep Addin requires me to add drives outside the array to prevent sleep.  I've added those drives and now the system doesn't sleep anymore and things are  back to normal.  I also enabled the check for NIC activity just in case.  Thanks!