We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Backup outside of Unraid

sasbro97

Like very many others, I too ask myself the question of how best to make additional backups. Additional means besides RAID1 pool or just parity.

Of course, the best would be a location-independent backup, but unfortunately I only have the location where the server is. Thus, I thought of an external HDD, which is connected via USB. Is there a way to keep it connected but disable the USB port except when the backup is to take place? This way the HDD would not get unnecessary runtime and would not consume power.

Now maybe if I could eventually do backups to another location, what would you guys recommend? I have UrBackup running to backup my PC to Unraid. I could of course backup Unraid files to my PC, but I wonder how useful that is, since the PC isn't always and regularly running.

In general, also the question of how I best save a backup. I mainly want to backup the appdata folder for my Docker infrastructure. But it is big. Therefore compression makes sense. Which tool do you recommend? Or the old-fashioned way via Linux tools?

Thank you.

You have a couple of questions here I'll give some input on.

USB backup - I do this on my main server.  The server itself holds backups of several other systems/computers.  Weekly I back this data onto a USB drive (drive connected to server via Unassigned Devices plugin).  I have written a pretty basic script which uses rsync to copy the folders to back up to the USB drive.  I have two USB drives, and once a month I'll swap them, taking the unconnected one to store offsite at work.

Spinning down USB drives - This is pretty hit or miss.  It mostly depends if the USB-to-SATA controller in the drive enclosure supports this.  I suggest you Google and do some research.  If you don't plan on swapping drives (as I do to take off-site) it probably is would be simpler to add the drive as a pool and let Unraid control the spin down.

Appdata backup - Easiest would be to use the Appdata Backup plugin. (get the latest version of what is compatible for the Unraid version you are running)  I back up my Appdata to my array, and then it is one of the folders I back up to the external USB drive.

Edited by ConnerVT
clarified to use correct version of Appdata backup
  • Like 1