Shopping for a first build - spec check and advice please

ragingfool

Hi there,

I'm UK based and looking to build my first unraid server, just hoping for some experienced eyes to look me over before I take the plunge and give any feedback.

Price isn't something I'm too concerned over, I'll pay for quality or reliability but don't want to overdo it unnecessarily at the same time. My main desires are expandability, low power consumption and as little noise as possible. I don't expect to run many addons beyond a few of the UI tweaks and maybe something for monitoring so I don't think I need a great deal of processing power or memory.

The UK Version on the hardware page and some of the other stuff there was my starting point so hopefully everything should be compatible I'm just looking for as much advice as possible before I start buying and of course if anyone can recommned more suitable/better parts than those I've sourced below I'd love to know about them.

Case: Antec 1200 Twelve Hundred V3 Black Full Tower Computer Case £150

Motherboard: Asus AM3 AMD 760G DDR3 uATX £45

Power Supply Be Quiet 530W Pure Power PSU £47

CPU: AMD Sempron 140 2.7GHz Socket AM3 1MB 45W with

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler £40 for both

Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 1GB DDR3 1333MHz / PC3-10600 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM x 2 £18

Flash Drive: SanDisk 2gb Cruzer Micro U3 Smart 2.0 USB Flash Drive £7 + Unraid Pro for ~£75

HDD Bays: Coolermaster Full Alloy 4 in 3 Devices Module (have trouble finding uk based alternatives to this and would welcome any you know of or with reasonable shipping to the uk) £13

Expansion Card Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8, 8-Port SAS/SATA Card £85

As for the HDD's I should come in at a total of 8 (6 data, 1 parity, 1 cache) with the initial build. I have 3 x 2Tb's (2 x Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000, 1 x WD20EARS) and plan to purchase another four 2 Tb's (I'm thinking WD Green drives but still undecided). I'll also be using a smaller 7200rpm as a cache drive.

By my math that gives me a total cost of £480 (a little under 800 usd) without the HDD's, before delivery and little things like cables for a machine capable of running 14 drives with room for expansion to about 20 without too much extra cost - does this seem reasonable? All the prices are approximate and I'll probably knock a little off that total by shopping around properly at the time of purchase.

It looks like you are building a 14 capable system.

It also looks like you have some 7200rpm and some 5400rpm drives in the build.

I think that your power supply is not going to cut it. You should look for one with a single +12V rail

With DDR3 ram so cheap right now, you might want to get more then 1gig. some add-ons can consume some of your ram. i didn't check that it was the correct ram..

Archived