Cutting the cord, wondering if I should upgrade hardware or just get a good trancoding GPU

Matt Foley

Currently Unraid server sits on a Supermicro X10SRA-F with a Xeon E5-2640 v4.  This has been rock solid for my use case over the last 7 years but now I am getting rid of pay TV (will still have Amazon Video plus the streaming services I get free with TMobile) and instlaling an OTA antenna.   I will be running the Antenna to network tuners (I have 3 HomeRun CONNECTS that I bought several years ago when I was considering doing the same thing, will just use those for now and may upgrade later.)  I will then be setting up an OTA DVR on my unraid server (likely Plex, seems to be the best option with what I will be streaming to.)

The TDP on my CPU isn't awful, but I am still thinking the power consumption benefit would be there for the inconvenience of replacing my motherboard, CPU and memory as any GPU I put in that will handle transcoding (even though not conerned about 4K streams right now I want to future proof) will consume a significantly larger amount of power than upgrading to and Intel processor that is iGPU quick sync capable.  I am thinking something along the lines of a 13500 would be my best bet, offering the capability to easily transcode 4 4k streams simultaneously and not impact me performance for the other tasks the server is performing over my current E5-2640.  This would also reduce my over all power consumption rather than increase it by adding a GPU.  The only thing I am really giving up is the registered memory.

Does this sound about right, or am I missing something?