ZFS dataset created over existing folder, files gone but disk space used?

Go to solution Solved by Vaggeto,

Hello!

I just upgraded a cache drive I use and copied the data off of the old btrfs drive to an unassigned drive, and onto the new ZFS-encrypted drive. This created no data sets, so I tried to use the ZFS Master plugin to add one. I created it with the same name as one of the folders, and right away all the files disappeared, but I noticed the disk space used on this cache drive didn't go down. I'm not worried about the data itself as I could just re-copy this data over, but I suspect the files are still there somehow?

Unraid GUI shows 1.92TB used, unRaid file explorer shows 1.68TB used. ZFS master shows 1.75TB used. The missing data was 302GB.

Any ideas on how I can check? Thanks!

To add a bit of new information, I did run "df -h" and it shows

Filesystem                         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on

documents_ha                       3.4T  1.6T  1.9T  46% /mnt/documents_ha

But it's a 4.1TB (4TB formatted NVME).

So overall I'm seeing:

unRaid GUI shows 1.92TB used, 2.04TB free.

unRaid File Explorer (calculate) shows 1.68TB used (in 3454 folders and 54,413 files)

Krusader shows: 1.9 TiB free out of 3.4 TiB. (1.5 TiB 1,675,196,012,297. 54,412 files, 3,349 sub-folders)

CLI "df-h" shows 1.6T used and 1.9T available.

CLI "du -hs" on this drive shows 1.6T and doesn't include any of the files which disappeared.

• Solution

Alright so hopefully my last update, I unmounted the dataset ("zfs unmount /mnt/documents_ha/Documents") and oddly even though appeared to completely successfully with no errors, it still shows in ZFS List like it did before i ran it, but now the actual data is all visible again! Really not sure what to think now though haha. But the Dataset must have been sitting on top of it. Now to find out if that dataset still exists.

Alright so the end solution ended up being, remove the dataset by unmounting it, rename my folder to "temp" and then recreate the dataset and move my data over to that folder which brought the disk space used calculations in alignment. Oddly the only other thing I needed to do was stop sharing the share, and then put it back to private to get it to show in Windows SMB again. Otherwise it was not visible or accessible via Windows.

Edited by Vaggeto