Question before getting started.

Silvaire

Hi, settling on an Unraid solution but have a quick question, after scouring these forums:

If I'm dead-set on the mini-ITX form factor, and I want a Pentium G620 or i3 2100 on 1155 socket, I'm stuck with the Realtek driver that seems to be problematic in all but perhaps the latest beta edition?  Ideally, I'd like a mini-ITX Intel motherboard that is not an Atom, with 4 SataII ports, 1 eSATA port, and 1 PCI-E port for 2 more sata ports, but I don't think this product exists yet, correct?

Intel sells several ITX 1155 motherboards with Intel NIC's they seem to be 82579V based though.

I am not sure if that is supported in unraid or not.

here is one i looked at for an HTPC and never purchased. http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dh67cf.html

but yes, you are correct. the LGA1155 standard is mostely realtek 8111e or the Intel 82579x chips.

thats true most formfactors besides mITX

i know you said you wanted to stay away from ATOM, but this is a very nice board for unraid http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182243

I should probably explain my intended usage:

1.  Serving up ~6-12 TB of media to an HTPC connected by gigabit LAN.

2.  Couchpotato, Sickbeard, Sabnzbd

3.  Air Video (transcoding video on-the-fly), Subsonic (transcoding video and music on-the-fly)

Am not constrained by budget, so I'd like to do this right.  For WAF purposes and a small apartment, I'm using the Lian Li ITX case.  That said, I'm trying to figure out what is the best motherboard to put inside of it that supports a G620 or an i3 2100.  I usually buy my computer parts from Newegg or Amazon and am actually having some trouble sourcing some of the Intel motherboards.

So comes down to two questions:

1.  Should I just wing it and get a typical ITX motherboard with 4 SATAII ports, and one expansion for 2 more SATAII ports and hope the Realtek bugs sort themselves out in the beta editions?

2.  Or should I wait for a new motherboard option or find an Intel motherboard that has "good NIC" that has everything else I need?  Could use some tips here.

Thanks so much,

Chad

I just fired up my "ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS" with unraid 5B12a just to test the NIC for you.

While that is not and ITX board, the onboard NIC is an Intel 82579.

It seemed to work just fine. I made a 1 drive array and pushed about 500gigs through it.

That does not guarantee it is a stable chipset, but does show it is supported in the driver.

Being an Intel, I would have faith in it.

If that is the case, you do have options for an itx 1155 mobo then.

Thanks for doing that.  So it seems my choices are limited to the Intel 82579V or the Realtek 8111E, neither of which is fully supported yet, if I want to go ITX and use 1155.

I could get an Intel PCI-E network adapter but I wanted to use that port for 2 extra SATAII connections.

Not sure what to do, guess I'll keep monitoring the beta thread to see if the Realtek or Intel chips are officially sanctioned and then post a build for review.

Archived