What should I keep?

Hi!

I own quite a few PCs in my flat, mostly laptops and two desktops I built myself. The two desktops are the only ones I feel comfortable selling considering almost all the laptops I have have at least one hardware problem. One of the desktops I built in 2018 was used as a hackintosh and Windows machine but it ended up hosting my unraid setup instead of the one I built for this purpose. It has a Z370P D3 from Gigabyte and an i7 8700k. The other one I built to host my unraid setup but it ended up replacing the other desktop. It has a Gigabyte mobo with an I5 13500.

I'm considering selling both as I'm facing temporary income issues. I'd like to replace my current unraid setup with a very old PC I was gifted after an internship. I think it meets the minimum requirements for unraid. It's a socket 775 core2quad Q9500 with 4 GB of DDR2 RAM. As I'm just barely using unraid's potential (I'm using it as a backup of my Synology NAS' data, only using a plex vm in case my Synology NAS crashes), I think it would be enough for my needs.

Considering these would you do this change? Would you use unraid or would you use openmediavault, which I used before switching to unraid?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by moisemust
Added CPU model

Honestly speaking?

Sell the Synology - because they are much more price stable - and use the I5 13500 for Unraid. Maybe the 8700k is sufficient too ....

Your old Q9500 doesnt have QuickSync so that will be largely useless for Transcoding with Plex and generally anything else other then backups ...

As far as OMV goes:

I used to have both Unraid and OMV and switched the second ine to Unraid too.

I dont regret it one second - largely because of the painless Encryption implementation which is worth so much ...

Edited by jit-010101
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, jit-010101 said:

Honestly speaking?

Sell the Synology - because they are much more price stable - and use the I5 13500 for Unraid. Maybe the 8700k is sufficient too ....

Your old Q9500 doesnt have QuickSync so that will be largely useless for Transcoding with Plex and generally anything else other then backups ...

As far as OMV goes:

I used to have both Unraid and OMV and switched the second ine to Unraid too.

I dont regret it one second - largely because of the painless Encryption implementation which is worth so much ...

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll sell my I5 13500 and see how it goes before thinking about selling either the i7 8700k or the synology.