We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

[SOLVED] Browse the data on your parity drive?

gonzo

Hi there,

I need some assistance again please  :'(

I have two 1tb HDD's covered by a 1x2tb parity HDD. I introduced a third 750gb HDD into the array and it started causing me issues and kept crashing the server whenever I attempted to format it - the drive turned out to be faulty (which is now out of the array and reports as missing on the dash, but it never had any data on it). The problem was that one of the 1tb HDD's started reporting as UNFORMATTED. I removed the 750 out, I formatted the 1tb HDD, but the Data-Rebuild options is not coming up... is this because the 750 needs to be replaced as well .....or have I somehow messed up and lost that data... or is there a way to browse the parity HDD and copy my data off it (even maybe to a separate network share)?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Actually if there is a way to simply add the parity HDD to the array (hoping this won't wipe that HDD) - will I be able to copy the files off to a network share?

Hi there,

I need some assistance again please  :'(

I have two 1tb HDD's covered by a 1x2tb parity HDD. I introduced a third 750gb HDD into the array and it started causing me issues and kept crashing the server whenever I attempted to format it - the drive turned out to be faulty (which is now out of the array and reports as missing on the dash, but it never had any data on it). The problem was that one of the 1tb HDD's started reporting as UNFORMATTED. I removed the 750 out, I formatted the 1tb HDD, but the Data-Rebuild options is not coming up... is this because the 750 needs to be replaced as well .....or have I somehow messed up and lost that data... or is there a way to browse the parity HDD and copy my data off it (even maybe to a separate network share)?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Actually if there is a way to simply add the parity HDD to the array (hoping this won't wipe that HDD) - will I be able to copy the files off to a network share?

Mistake #1  ... formatting a disk that you knew had data on it.

Mistake #2 ... not asking for guidance earlier.

Mistake #3 ... not supplying a system log as requested by the sticky at the top of this forum. 

Parity does not keep a copy of your data...  All the other disks in you array in combination with parity are able to re-create a single failed disk.

Right now, you have a 750 gig drive that has failed.  It is probably now showing as "red" (or perhaps not, since we have no syslog, only you can tell us, and you did not)

Right now you have a 1TB data drive that you reformatted, erasing the data on it.  (It might be possible to recover some of it, but it involved scanning the entire disk and rebuilding the file-system tree)

You might be able to set a new disk configuration without the 750 gig drive, and then force unRAID to think parity is valid, but you could still not reconstruct the contents of the drive you reformatted.  (It would only re-construct a newly formatted drive, exactly as you now see)

We cannot even give you guidance there, as you did not mention which version of unRAID you are using.

If you had not reformatted the 1TB drive, other options would be possible, but for now.

Stop the array

run

reiserfsck --rebuild-tree -S /dev/sdX1

on the drive you reformatted (note the "1" at the end of the device name)  This will scan the entire disk and attempt to recover whatever it can from your reformatting it.  Replace the "X" with the proper device letter for the drive you reformatted.

un-assign the 750 Gig drive

Set a new initial disk configuration without it by typing

initconfig

and answering "Yes" to its prompt.

When you go back to the web-interface and refresh it, you should see all the indicators as "blue"

When you start the array, a completely new full parity calculation will be made based on the existing data on the disks.

On the drive you reformatted, you'll find a lost&found folder.  In it will be what was recovered by scanning the whole disk and re-constructing the file-tree.  Many files will have numeric names... You'll need to rename them.

Good luck.

Joe L.

:)

... that's me smiling because the steps you suggested managed to recover (what seems to b)e absolutely everything. Under the lost&found folder there were some desktop backgrounds and some recorded UFC shows, but that's it - everything else appeared as it were before in the root.

PS. I will make sure I post logs and ask for assistance in advance before formatting anything. BTW this was unraid v 4.7.

Thanks for all your help.

Archived