NVIDIA nForce4 MB with PCI SATA controller (new build)

joboears

Hello,

I'm in the process of building an unRAID solution.  Ive purchased a used NORCO server case with a DFI NVIDIA nForce4 MB (I know the Nforce4 chipset is NOT recommended).  Ive just moved to Seattle so I would like to make this MB work for now ... but my data is important.  The system has been operational for three days with no errors seen on the GUI or in the syslog. Question:

1) What type of errors would I see from the NForce4 chipset?

2) Would installing a recommended PCI SATA controller eliminate the problems experienced with the Nforce4 chipset for unRAID?

Many thanks,

John

Seattle

1) You would see data corruption when transferring data to the server and verifying it with CRC (TeraCopy) or MD5.  I also fully tested an nForce 4 motherboard and determined it to be fully compatible with unRAID.  Here's that thread.  If you read through that thread you'll see the steps I took to test it.  You should mimic those steps if you want to be sure that your motherboard will be safe to use.

2) Most likely yes.  However, a PCI SATA controller will be slow and bottleneck your disks if more than one are placed on it.  The board appears to have some PCIe x16, x4, and x1 slots on it.  PCIe SATA controllers will be much better and have no bottlenecks.  I recommend the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 for the x4 and x16 slots, and the Monoprice 2 Port PCIe x1 SIL3132 card (which will work in any slot PCIe slot).  It is possible that the top-most x16 slot on your motherboard is in PEG mode, which means that it can only be used for video cards.  If this is the case, look in your BIOS for PEG mode and disable it.

Rajahal,

I will run the tests outlined in the thread. Sounds like the major issue with nForce4 is data corruption via the network transfer.  This motherboard has both a PCI and non-PCI NIC.  I will test them both.

Also appreciate your insight into using a PCIe SATA controllers.

Many thanks Rajahal!

John

Archived