Decrease idle power for Ryzen 5 1500X

Hello everyone,

I have read tons of power consumption threads but now I am more confused than before. 

The requirements:

• Network storage for documents, pictures movies and so on
  • Plex 
  • Maybe some VM and docker play, maybe Home Assistant (currently on RaspiPi 3B+)
  • Low idle power consumption

The beginning:

I bought a cheap Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF with an i5-3570 and threw 2 Seagate Ironwolf 6TB (ST6000VN001) into the case and went with that for a while. Power consumption in idle was around 34W and I did not have a lot of troubles with it.

The problem was the Dell mainboard which did not let you configure a whole lot and the temps in the small case.

My "spare" windows PC was not used anymore I wanted to upgrade the server. Maybe newer components meant better power and efficiency.

New build:

• Mainboard:   Asus Prime B350-Plus (BIOS Version 6203)
  • CPU:            AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
  • Cooler:         Noctua NH-D15 SE
  • RAM:            G.Skill Aegies DDR4-3000 16GB (2x8GB)
  • GPU:            XFX Radeon RX 590 Fatboy
  • SSD:            Kingston KC2500 500GB M.2 NVME
  • HDD:            Seagate Ironwolf 6TB (2X)
  • Case:           BeQuiet Pure Base 600
  • PSU:            BeQuiert Pure Power BQT L7 530W (Will be swapped with a BeQuiet Pure Power 11)
  • Fans Front:  Noctua NF-P12 (2x)
  • Fans Back:   BeQuiet Pure Wings 2

I managed to get the idle consumption to 38W but I would like to get this even lower. In Idle mode there is only Plex running in Docker and the only spinning fans are the 2 CPU Cooler Fans. The cooler is a massive overkill anyway but I have not managed to get them disabled at low temps yet.

Do you think it is possible to get the consumption even lower or do I need to switch to team blue for that?

The first generation Ryzen CPUs have a bug which prevents them from going into the low power C-States in Linux, causing system freezes.  So you won't find much power savings there.

What are you using the RX 590 for?  That is probably a good part of your power consumption.

Good morning,

so it would be better to switch to a later gen Ryzen? 

Since I scrapped the "Gaming" setup, I thought I might have this as a VM in unraid.

In addition to this, the CPU does not have an internal GPU, sadly.

• 3 weeks later...

So the solution was: Get different Hardware.

I switched to this

• Asus H97-Plus 
  • Intel Core i5 4590T
  • BeQuiet Pure Power 11
  • Noctua NH-D15 SE without fans

With all the available power saving options in the bios switched to enable I now managed to drop to 24W with HomeAssistant VM running