Issue with Accessing another Unraid server remotely through Tailscale

I am trying to automate an rsync backup from my primary Unraid server to another unraid server that's in a remote location.  They're both running the Tailscale plug-in, and I can access both Unraid servers from another computer on the TailNet. 

The problem I am having is when I'm on my Unraid server through the terminal, I cannot access or even ping the remote Unraid server.  Both locations are running a subnet router, so when I'm on a Windows machine i can connect to each server with either a 192.168.x.x (remote) and 10.x.x.x (Home). 

I'm guessing the issue is with some sort of network/firewall issue that's preventing me from connecting between the 2 Unraid servers.  I'm hoping someone can spot what I am doing wrong.

Thank you very much for all your help.

To connect using the local IPs via the subnet routers, you'd have to enable "Use Tailscale Subnets" in the advanced Tailscale settings on both nodes. I don't generally recommend that though unless it's really the only viable option (like trying to connect to a remote device that can't run Tailscale).

Since both nodes are running Tailscale,  there's a better/simpler option -- use the 100.x.y.z Tailscale IPs for the connection. That will skip the subnet routers, and can also give you better performance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 7:35 PM, EDACerton said:

Since both nodes are running Tailscale,  there's a better/simpler option -- use the 100.x.y.z Tailscale IPs for the connection. That will skip the subnet routers, and can also give you better performance.

Firstly, thank you for your response. :)

So, I tried to ping the other node using the Tailscale IP but it's not reachable, but I can ping the remote subnet router and other computers on the tailnet - except the other remote node.  Both nodes can see other computers but not the other Unraid server.  :(

55 minutes ago, John Catral said:

Firstly, thank you for your response. :)

So, I tried to ping the other node using the Tailscale IP but it's not reachable, but I can ping the remote subnet router and other computers on the tailnet - except the other remote node.  Both nodes can see other computers but not the other Unraid server.  :(

That's odd.... if you can post Tailscale diagnostics from both servers, that would be helpful.

(There's a diagnostics button in the Tailscale plugin settings -- use that, not the normal system diagnostics.)

Edited by EDACerton
  • Thanks 1

I looked through the log files, and I don't see anything that looks problematic from a connection standpoint.

It seems like you had some trouble connecting to the coordination server on 2/22 and 2/23, but that seems to be OK now:

2024/02/22 13:32:01 Received error: PollNetMap: unexpected EOF
2024/02/22 13:32:06 control: netmap: got new dial plan from control
2024/02/22 14:12:12 health("overall"): error: not in map poll
2024/02/22 14:12:19 health("overall"): ok

However, what I do find weird is that Tailscale is reporting that the two servers have never exchanged data:

100.118.33.14   domino               johncatral@  linux   -
100.112.40.70   blacktower           johncatral@  linux   -

Are those the IP addresses that you've been trying to ping?

I've previously pinged Unraid nodes from each other, but I'll do a double-check on some of my test boxes to make certain that there isn't something weird going on with Tailscale/the plugin. In the meantime, it might also be worth making a post over at r/Tailscale; the folks over there might be able to help.

Edit: I was able to ping between Unraid nodes on both my "main" tailnet and on my "test" tailnet.

Edited by EDACerton