We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Somewhere in Network lan, there is an answer. I, hope!

Two Wire

The Wake on Lan function quit working and I cannot find the problem. None of my machines will now turn on the unRaid server, including my Ipod touch. I have checked Bios settings, replaced the motherboard with an exact replacement (same model number - Gigabyte G31M-ES2L), and check to see if my standby voltage was present on pin 9 of the power plug.

I have read about using a packet sniffer to determine if the target machine is receiving the WOL command. I have also read where the router might cause this to happen. First, how would install a packet sniffer on the server, and second, what would I look for in the router (Linksys WRT 54G) settings? Is this even the direction in which I want to go?

One day every thing hunky dory, the next day trouble, that troubles us all.  ;D

Any help will be appreciated

Jerry

Thanks, Johnm

I think I have that program on one of my computers. My problem, however, is finding out if the WOL packet be sent is actually being received by the target computer, or wheather it is being blocked at the router. I'm not quite sure how to determine this.

Thanks, Johnm

I think I have that program on one of my computers. My problem, however, is finding out if the WOL packet be sent is actually being received by the target computer, or wheather it is being blocked at the router. I'm not quite sure how to determine this.

if you have 2 windows boxes, you could try this bit of software. it listens for WOL packets and lets you know if it they are getting through.

http://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wake-on-lan-monitor.aspx

Archived