We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Slow parity-sync on a new setup...

Ston

Hi guys,

Looking for some ideas please. I've got a brand new HP Proliant NL36 with a brand new 2TB Seagate drive as the parity and an older (with data on it) 1TB wester digital. I've formatted the 1TB through unraid (I am using 4.7) and started a parity-sync. However the speed is very slow:

Total size: 	1,953,514,552 	KB
Current position: 	429,335,360 	(21.9%)
Estimated speed: 	11,701 	KB/sec
Estimated finish: 	2170.6 	minutes

The syslog seems okay to me, but I've attached it for some expert eyes.

Thanks in advance

syslog.txt

Hi guys,

Looking for some ideas please. I've got a brand new HP Proliant NL36 with a brand new 2TB Seagate drive as the parity and an older (with data on it) 1TB wester digital. I've formatted the 1TB through unraid (I am using 4.7) and started a parity-sync. However the speed is very slow:

Total size: 	1,953,514,552 	KB
Current position: 	429,335,360 	(21.9%)
Estimated speed: 	11,701 	KB/sec
Estimated finish: 	2170.6 	minutes

The syslog seems okay to me, but I've attached it for some expert eyes.

Thanks in advance

Almost looks like you are on a PCI bus.

Thanks for the replies, I've read up on this but I'm getting more confused. The NL36 has 4 bays for hard disks, which have the SATA interface. Is the problem that although the interface is SATA, it is feeding a PCI bus which is then getting saturated and can't handle the data? Anyway around this? I'm pretty sure the motherboard has an additional 2 PCI slots, would it benefit if I expanded those with additional SATA ports and run 1 drive off each?

I would have thought other NL36 owners would be getting more than this?

Cheers.

Thanks for the replies, I've read up on this but I'm getting more confused. The NL36 has 4 bays for hard disks, which have the SATA interface. Is the problem that although the interface is SATA, it is feeding a PCI bus which is then getting saturated and can't handle the data? Anyway around this? I'm pretty sure the motherboard has an additional 2 PCI slots, would it benefit if I expanded those with additional SATA ports and run 1 drive off each?

I would have thought other NL36 owners would be getting more than this?

Cheers.

PCI bus can handle 133MB/s.  A single disk can be read at somewhere between 60 and 100 MB/s.  Two disks being read at the same time will saturate a PCI bus.

Archived