We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Unraid seems to remember drive geometry outside array [SOLVED]

larson

I have a little problem with my server. I have been running a 2TB disk outside the array in a ESATA cradle for a while. Can't recall if I mounted it manually or with UnMenu. A few days ago I wanted to runa another disk, a 250G instead. I umounted the original 2TB and powered down the cradle. Replaced the disk, powered on and mounted it manually. All was fine, I emptied the 250G, and reformatted it to Reiser, put some files back on it and let it be. Now I wanted to put back the 2TB. I umounted, and replaced it. I can mount the drive, but both fdisk and UnMenu reports the drive geometry as 250 GB. Am I wrong in trying to use it as I use my USB cradles? Can I make the OS forget the old (250G) geometry? Did I break my disks? Any ideas what to do now?

(Yeah, rebooting would probably be a good first start, but I rather not reboot my server until it's really necessary).

/Lars Olof

I have a little problem with my server. I have been running a 2TB disk outside the array in a ESATA cradle for a while. Can't recall if I mounted it manually or with UnMenu. A few days ago I wanted to runa another disk, a 250G instead. I umounted the original 2TB and powered down the cradle. Replaced the disk, powered on and mounted it manually. All was fine, I emptied the 250G, and reformatted it to Reiser, put some files back on it and let it be. Now I wanted to put back the 2TB. I umounted, and replaced it. I can mount the drive, but both fdisk and UnMenu reports the drive geometry as 250 GB. Am I wrong in trying to use it as I use my USB cradles? Can I make the OS forget the old (250G) geometry? Did I break my disks? Any ideas what to do now?

(Yeah, rebooting would probably be a good first start, but I rather not reboot my server until it's really necessary).

/Lars Olof

Most versions of unRAID are NOT hot-plug.  You must reboot for them to see the new disk configuration.  (strange things can happen otherwise)  You can try re-starting the udev daemon, but be very careful.  It has been known to re-assign device names, and that will confuse older versions of unRAID.  At the least, stop the array when you plug in a device.

Thanks for the info, Joe. I'll keep it in mind from now. Isn't there a add on of some sort to aid in hotplugging? Would it work for ESATA too?

/Lars Olof

You  must just be careful to watch that drive designations are not changed.  It is less of an issue with USB drives, since they are not used by the array.

Archived