Replacing a missing disk?

gonzo

Hi guys,

I am running Unraid 4.7.

I have just gotten a HDD failure - when I start up the array it takes a very long time to boot and finally shows the HDD as missing. I have checkd the HDD on othr machines but it simply cannot be detected. Reading up on thre wikki it says that I should power down the server, replace the faiulty disk with a same / bigger sized disk and start the array. I have done so, but there is a red dot next to one of the exsisting HDD's and also next to the replaced HDD not allowing me to stary the array.

Any suggestions?

Screenshot and syslog attached.

Thanks in advance.

syslog.txt

array.JPG.15c7cebc90180fec71b9607ec051ba0e.JPG

Hi guys,

I am running Unraid 4.7.

I have just gotten a HDD failure - when I start up the array it takes a very long time to boot and finally shows the HDD as missing. I have checkd the HDD on othr machines but it simply cannot be detected. Reading up on thre wikki it says that I should power down the server, replace the faiulty disk with a same / bigger sized disk and start the array. I have done so, but there is a red dot next to one of the exsisting HDD's and also next to the replaced HDD not allowing me to stary the array.

Any suggestions?

Screenshot and syslog attached.

Thanks in advance.

could you have accidentally replaced the wrong disk?  (It would explain why you now have one wrong disk and one missing.)

Other than that, most likely is you dislodged a connector.  Power down, make sure all is securely plugged in.

I moved the 750 replacement (2tb) and the 1tb HDD's around, but it still doesn't look right. The ST3100 still has the red light next to it and I am concerned I might loose the data.

Any suggestions on how to bringing the array online, successfully replacing the failed 750 and hopefully not loosing any data?

array.JPG.086ac1bfb413b92426ec6e67b73ca968.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I have been travelling and have only been able to pick this up again now.

What I would like to do is just make sure there isn't anythign wrong on the red 1tb hdd. I am happy to remove the 750gb completely and not worry about recovering anythign from there, but I am concerned that I might loose stuff form the 1tb (if there is somethign wrong with it).

What would be the right steps to remove the 750gb from the array, re-initiaite the config and hopefully not have to do a recovery on the 1tb as well?

Thanks.

Well, you do seem to be stuck and it might be a real problem to recover either disk.

I hope you have unMENU installed. If so, then first unassign disk1 from the array and try to mount it and share it using unMENU. If you are successful then you should be able to access the data over the network and check that it is OK.

Once you have verified disk1 is OK then the next step is to attempt to recover disk3. This is what I would try.

#1 - Assign the disk3 as the only array disk, you can disconnect the others if you want to be extra safe.

#2 - type "initconfig" on the command line and answer "Yes"

#3 - Start the array, format the disk and then stop the array.

#4 - now, install all the disks and make sure they are all properly assigned like your screenshot.

#5 - type "initconfig" at the command prompt and answer "Yes"

#6 - refresh your unRAID browser window and confirm all disks have blue dots.

#7 - type "mdcmd set invalidslot 3" at the command line. You should get "cmdOper=set" and "cmdResult=ok" returned.

#8 - press the start button and start refreshing the browser to see if the disk3 is being written and the others read.

What the above does;

Steps #1 to #3 will create a proper unRAID partition on the new disk.

Steps #4 to #6 will set-up the array like it was a new array and tell unRAID to build the parity.

Step #7 will modify the unRAID startup to rebuild disk3 instead of building parity.

Step #8 will put it in motion and start the rebuild.

Once the rebuild is complete, I believe you will have the origional data back without any other work. Let us know if you have any problems.

Peter

Thanks for the detailed guide - I will try follow it closely.

Ok so I have jusyt installed unmenu, but am not completely sure where to assign and unassign devices (except using the classic menu), or where to share unnasigned devices sfterwards - any guidance here would be appreciated.

Thanks

unassign using the stock unMENU. It is available in the unMENU screens.

I'm not at my machine to check, but I believe there is a disk or drive management type page in unMENU and the option to mount the disk outside of the array will be visible once it is unassigned. The option to share is then visible once the disk is mounted.

Do not format the disk if it doesn't want to mount or share.

Let us know what you find with disk1 once you check it.

I should have asked before - do you remember doing anything odd like disconnecting multiple drives between reboots or unassigning disk1 at any time? Basically, I'm just looking for a reason that unRAID would have forgotten about disk1 being a valid disk. I can see that you haven't just assigned them improperly because in that case the correct s/n for disk1 would be listed similar to how disk3 shows. It's as if you changed or removed the disk1 and attempted to start the array and then replaced disk3 after that.

Peter

Ok so far disk1 has been mounted and I am coping the stuff off the network (taking a while). I will post as soon as its done and I have gone to the next couple of steps.

Thanks again.

PS. I cannot really recall what had happend to disk1. All I remeber was that I tried to access something off the unraid server lne day and I noticed that the array had stopped and the 2 drives showed up as red.

Archived