QNAP to UNRAID

Hi All,

Apologies if this should be in Hardware - please move the post if needed.

I have a QNAP TVS-872XT 8 bay NAS and I am looking to move over to UNRAID as I am getting S.M.A.R.T Ultra ATA CRC Errors with 6 of the eight Seagate Iron Wolf 3TB drives and the forum is full of issues with the TVS-x72XT (motherboards dying after 1-2 years).

I have since moved the drives to a spare PC and currently testing the drives with HD Sentinel, 10 hours in no Ultra ATA CRC Errors which leads me to believe the QNAP is the issue (PSU, Motherboard, Backplane, RAM) so I have decided to go for an UNRAID.

Currently I have the following parts:

• Case: Define R6
  • HBA: LSi 9211-8i IT Mode plus cables, from local eBay seller no idea if it works until it arrives and i can test it.
  • PSU: Corsair RM750
  • NVME SSD: 2x 1TB WD NVME cache drives
  • HDD: 8x 3TB Seagate Ironwolf NAS drives
  • UHD Blu-Ray: Pioneer internal drive (makemkv compatible)

After spending many hours reading forum posts I still have no idea which motherboard, CPU and RAM combo to go for. I am planning on using the server to host a few virtual machines (1x Linux Mint and 1x Windows 10/11), plex / Jellyfin media sever (direct play) and possibly transcoding using handbrake or similar.

I was looking for ECC RAM but that leaves me buying an expensive W680 motherboard or AMD X570D4U or going for second hand server components (I would prefer to go newer due to power consumption and noise and like the Define R6 case I have).

I am currently thinking Intel i3/i5 (12th/13th/14th gen), DDR4/5 64/128 GB as intel looks to be better in terms of power consumption. I would like ECC RAM but that may not be possible as I cannot find a good solution without spending ££££, I am open to suggestions otherwise it will be then end of the year before I buy anything 😊

• CPU Option 1: Intel i3 12100 - £112 (no ECC support)
  • CPU Option 2: Intel i5 12400 - £156 (no ECC support)
  • CPU Option 3: Ryzen 5600 - £5600 (ECC support, I think)
  • Motherboard intel: no idea, what is reliable in LGA 1700 consumer and good features for Unraid 
  • Motherboard AMD ECC support: X470D4U (£232) or X570D4U (£427)
  • Motherboard AMD non ECC: no idea

Thanks for any help,

Andy