We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

[SOLVED] Help with some trivial questions please

husky55

I am considering replacing my Hitachi 2 TB parity drive with a WD 3 TB drive. My question is if the WD for some reason is dead during or after preclear can I reinstall the original Hitachi in the server and restart without any preclear, format or whatever?

I plan on using the following command for preclear:

./preclear_disk.sh M 4 /dev/sdX ("root" email address)

What I am unclear about is do I need the parentheses and/or "root". Is the email address the default email address when email was set up or can it be another email address i.e. an alternative address. I am a bit paranoid because 3 TB preclear and sync take a long time and WD 3 TB quality might be iffy. I would hate  to diable my server during the holiday season.Sorry about the trivial questions.

I think some one from limetech or other senior member on this forum will correct me if I am wrong

but here it go.

if I understand correctly you will use pre_clear to just test and burn-in  the drive

as you do not really need to pre_clear drive used for parity since during parity build every bit of the parity drive will be written to. (either 1 or 0) which what pre_clear is doing anyway.

so you would run pre_clear before adding drive to array and replacing your current parity drive

so if it fails you do not need to do anything.

now I am not 100% sure but if the new drive fails after you replace your parity drive with it

you can pop the old one back but you still need to run parity rebuild.

please some one confirm or correct me here......

I think some one from limetech or other senior member on this forum will correct me if I am wrong

but here it go.

if I understand correctly you will use pre_clear to just test and burn-in  the drive

as you do not really need to pre_clear drive used for parity since during parity build every bit of the parity drive will be written to. (either 1 or 0) which what pre_clear is doing anyway.

so you would run pre_clear before adding drive to array and replacing your current parity drive

so if it fails you do not need to do anything.

now I am not 100% sure but if the new drive fails after you replace your parity drive with it

you can pop the old one back but you still need to run parity rebuild.

please some one confirm or correct me here......

basically correct.

You can use the preclear script to test and burn in your new disk.  You can do this without changing any of your existing unRAID configuration.

the command to preclear it is

preclear_disk.sh /dev/sdX

IF you have mail installed, and configured, you can add the "-M" option which will send mail to "root" and it them will be forwarded to you (again, only if already configured in your mail setup)

Then the command would be

preclear_disk.sh -M 4 /dev/sdX

If you want the mail to be sent somewhere specific, you can also add the "-m email@server" option.  It also comes BEFORE the disk device name being cleared.

preclear_disk.sh -M 4 -m "your_email@your_server" /dev/sdX

When you are happy you have a good working drive to be used for parity you

Get a screen shot of your current configuration, for reference.

Perform a full non-correcting  parity check. (to ensure no issues are pre-existing)

You can do this through the unMENU array management screen, or log in via telnet or on the system console and type:

/root/mdcmd check NOCORRECT

Stop the array

Power down

re-arrange physically the drives.. (replace old parity drive with new, disconnect old, or put in spare slot in server for now)

Power up.  If you used the same slot in the array unRAID will detect the upgrade of the parity drive.  If you used a different slot, you'll need to go to the devices page and assign the new disk to the parity slot.

Start the array.  It will calculate parity and write to the parity disk.

If you intend to save the old parity disk in case something goes wrong, do not write new files to the array.

If something were to go wrong, GET ADVICE here first, then put the old parity disk back.  We'll be able to advise how to proceed.

Thank you Joe L. and vl1969. You guys are superb. I bought this WD 3 TB from Costco but the reviews were kind of negative so I got paranoid. I have a few newer movies in the server and want them available for the holiday.

I did get the mail installed and tested OK. I ran preclear before on another drive but was not aware it was not finished and added it to the array. Well, the reiserfscheck program saved me from the abyss of hell. That is the reason I want to send email to myself this time. :)

Anyway, I am about to embark on my turkey cooking journey so Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Archived