Server 2016 windows update causes BSODs??

Posted (edited)

Hi all, I hadn't touched my Windows Server 2016 VM in quite some time, and noticed it had Windows updates pending.  So I let it do them.  Then it just failed to boot.  Since then I have spent around 5 days total working on it.  If I move the virtual disk to my Macbook, convert it and run it under VirtualBox, it boots fine, but slow as expected.  Copy back, and convert = BSOD.  Either a page fault, or "system thread exception not handled".  A new install of Server 2022 works.  The server has a CCTV package installed, and I'm being stubborn about not reinstalling that again...

I've tried putting the vdisk on an internal NVMe that's not in the array, as my array does have some slightly iffy SMART going on.  No difference.  I've tried more memory, less, Memtest of server passed, SATA, IDE.  

I tried loading the VirtIO drivers on a running copy under VirtualBox, looked like they installed, migrate it back to the Unraid, BSODs.

I'm currently doing an install onto the same vdisk of Server 2022, so far, so good, hasn't finished yet, it's "Getting Ready, spin, spin". Can't do an in place upgrade unless the existing server runs...  which it doesn't.

I updated to the latest UnRaid OS.  Nope, the same.

25 years as an IT pro, this is doing my head in!

Modern 6 core i5 host, 32GB RAM, etc

diagnostics attached.

cheers,

Craig

unraid-diagnostics-20240503-1235.zip

Edited by doofusdog