We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Cache disk dropout issue after replacing NVMe SSD with SATA SSD

Introduction

Recently, I encountered a strange issue after replacing my cache disk from an NVMe SSD to a SATA SSD. The system's disk IO wait time would spike and speeds would drop to around a few Mb/s when writing large amounts of data continuously. Initially, I thought it was a problem with the SATA SSD, so I repurchased a Crucial SATA SSD. However, the issue persisted.

Troubleshooting Process

Since the problem remained after replacing the SSD, I began to suspect an issue with the unraid system itself. I thoroughly searched the unraid official forums and community but couldn't find any solutions for similar issues. Eventually, I decided to try downgrading the system version and then upgrading it back to the latest version.

Solution

To my surprise, downgrading the system version and then upgrading it back to the latest version resolved the issue! I've been monitoring the system since, and it has been running smoothly without any slowdowns or disk dropouts.

Summary

This experience made me realize that the stability of the unraid system can sometimes be affected by unknown factors. If you encounter similar issues, I recommend trying to downgrade the system version and then upgrade it back to the latest version to resolve them.

Additional Notes

My HPE Microserver GEN10 Plus Server configuration is as follows:

CPU: Intel® Xeon® E-2136 CPU @ 3.30GHz

RAM: 40GB

Cache: Crucial MX500 1TB SATA SSD

The unraid version I was using is 6.12.10.

I hope my sharing can help those who encounter similar problems.

Here are some additional tips:

Before changing hardware, it is recommended to back up important data.

If you are unsure of how to proceed, consult experienced users on the unraid official forums or community.

Always keep your unraid system up to date.

Happy unraiding!