Why special hardware requirements?

X4n

I've been reading these forums and i cant figure out why there are motherboards that do work with unraid and others dont.

i've got a Intel Pentium M 725 (S-479) lying around, and i would really like to use it in my unraid server.

main reason being it extremly low power consumption (7 watt max, so i can keep it powered up 24/7, only a few bucks power a year).

but does unraid support Socket 479 motherboards? like the Asus N4L-VM DH, 945GM (i'm from europe, so the names can differ in US)

Chipset: Intel 945GM

LAN: Intel 82573L Gb Ethernet (Vidalia)

could anyone plz explain? or anser if this board will work (or not).

ty

I've been reading these forums and i cant figure out why there are motherboards that do work with unraid and others dont.

i've got a Intel Pentium M 725 (S-479) lying around, and i would really like to use it in my unraid server.

main reason being it extremly low power consumption (7 watt max, so i can keep it powered up 24/7, only a few bucks power a year).

but does unraid support Socket 479 motherboards? like the Asus N4L-VM DH, 945GM (i'm from europe, so the names can differ in US)

Chipset: Intel 945GM

LAN: Intel 82573L Gb Ethernet (Vidalia)

could anyone plz explain? or anser if this board will work (or not).

ty

Can't give an answer about your specific motherboad.  But...

Some motherboards have a bios that will let you boot off of an USB flash drive and make it the boot device.

Some will read/write a USB drive, but not let you boot from it. (you can't use these with unRaid)

Of those that let you boot from a USB drive, some will read the flash drive at USB 2.0 speed, others at the much slower 1.0 speeds.

Both of those would work, but the latter would take much longer to restart the server.

Some motherboard  bioses will reset the boot device from the USB drive to an internal hard-disk when a new disk is detected. This will need to be reset every time you grow your array and add a disk. (The recommended  motherboard does not reset the boot device when a new disk is added)

You do not need unRaid software to determine if a motherboard is suitable, ANY bootable USB drive can be used. (Lots of bootable Linux images available suitable for loading on a USB flash drive, you just need to download try one on your potential motherboard. Check out http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ for some to try.)

In fact, if you change the boot device to USB and insert most any USB flash

drive your motherboard might just complain if it tries to boot from it and does not find a master boot record on it to boot from. That would give you a clue it might work.

Lastly, I thinnk unRaid only supports a few Gigabyte LAN chipsets.  If your motherboard uses the same driver as one of those in unRaid, you are in.  If you can download a loadable "module" for your network card driver suitable for Slackeare Linux 2.4, your motherboard will probobly work as well, even if Tom does not supply it.

Joe L.

so basicly if it has usb(2) boot ure in.

as for the LAN, i can always add a supported PCI LAN card.

and if it would reset the master boot when i add a drive (prolly not that often), then so be it  ;)

thx for the help

Archived