Cloudflare dns to access unRaid - any downside?

Go to solution Solved by ConnerVT,

Good morning,

I've been happily using Duckdns to access Emby on my server (via Wireguard), however this morning Duckdns has been down intermittently. As such I believe a cheap domain with Cloudflare in order to use their dns service will be more reliable.

I have limited experience with dns/domains etc, and so my question is, is their any downside to using Cloudflare dns to access unRaid? I won't be using their tunnel service as I believe media streaming is against their TOS, I will only be connecting to my unRaid via Wireguard, no proxies etc, just their dns instead of Duckdns.

I wanted to double check before I purchase a cheap domain and set about learning how to set this up, those domain records look fun for the novice like me. 😂

• Solution

I use both DuckDNS and Cloudflare with my server and network.  I have two domains with Cloudflare (look at the non-.com domains, many are very reasonably priced).  DuckDNS has had some issues the past month.  Fortunately, I only have noncritical things associated with them.  But still annoying.

Cloudflare has been rock solid.  I use both tunnels and DNS with them, and have never had an issue.  They also have a few security related benefits, such as 2FA and Geoblocking, that are available for free users.

• Thanks 1
25 minutes ago, ConnerVT said:

I use both DuckDNS and Cloudflare with my server and network.  I have two domains with Cloudflare (look at the non-.com domains, many are very reasonably priced).  DuckDNS has had some issues the past month.  Fortunately, I only have noncritical things associated with them.  But still annoying.

Cloudflare has been rock solid.  I use both tunnels and DNS with them, and have never had an issue.  They also have a few security related benefits, such as 2FA and Geoblocking, that are available for free users.

Excellent, thanks, that's just the reassurance I need for Cloudflare. I never even thought about using both Duckdns and Cloudflare, that would be great redundancy for my system, I'll look into it. 👍

I've just looked and found a .uk domain for £3.86/year with Cloudflare, I'll register now and go and watch Spaceinvaders DNS video to get setup. 

Thanks again.