[SOLVED] Supermicro X6DVL wont boot from Flash Drive

Hello, I have a Supermicro X6DVL-EG machine that I have had running as a Media Server under Ubuntu...Today, I tried to make it into an unRaid system and I haven't been able to get the machine to boot from the USB...it has an AMI Bios...I have tried it in Forced FDD, Floppy, CD-ROM, and Hard Drive modes under the Bios to get it to load...It will not boot...

To make sure that it wasn't the USB drive, I put it into another one of my Ubuntu machines and it booted up unRaid...so, I know the drive is good...

Is there any way to boot from a CD-Rom or another Hard Drive?

That board is a bit vintage.

If your USB flash drive does not show up as a USB hard drive or USB floppy in the biios, you might not be able to boot from it.

I would make sure you have the latest bios just in case support was added in a patch. otherwise you might have to boot with "plop".

I know it's a bit vintage  :) This computer was a server at a large data center...I bought 4 or 5 of them last year pretty cheap...Honestly, I don't know how to flash the bios without a floppy disk...and I can't use a flash drive since it won't boot off of it...any ideas?

What is plop?

I had the similar problem which led me to purchasing a new USB drive.  The problem ultimately turned out to be a bad motherboard. The board was operational but not 100%. I was chasing a ghost so I bought a new board too. You may not have the same problem but if this USB stick works with other boards it's likely your board or bios needs a update.

Archived