Motherboard Compatibility with LSI Controller Firmware Updates

I am currently interested in purchasing an IBM M1015 to use with my unRAID Server.  Unfortunately I am reluctant to purchase the controller without knowing if it will be possible to cross flash the controller to IT mode for compatibility with unRaid as the flashing process does not work on every motherboard.

Currently the only motherboard I have at my disposal is the Supermicro X8SIL-F motherboard.

Does anyone know if this motherboard is capable of flashing LSI IT mode firmware without the dreaded PAL error?

Additionally, if there is enough interest in this thread, I think it would be a good idea to compile a list of motherboards capable of successfully flashing LSI controller firmware as well as a list of motherboards that do not have enough available option ROM.  If anyone has any experiences trying to flash LSI firmware on any other motherboards please post your results below as well.

Definately a good option. While I am not locked into where I am purchasing it from, I would save a lot of money flashing it myself as I could them get the controller for around $70. I appreciate the suggestion though as this is still a decent price compared to some other controllers.

If I can't get confirmation on my board I'll probably go with this option.

Yeah that's the way I looked at it - few more dollars, but having someone else dealing with the flashing (saving my time, which is $$ in my eyes) and getting cables.  Also most of the cheaper m1015's seemed to come without a PCI bracket, and people seem to charge a small fortune for them for some reason (maybe BECAUSE so many cards come without them, which as I understand, is how they typically come in IBM servers anyway.)

Archived