New User :)

Hi, after lurking around the forums for a number of months I am finally introducing myself, coincidentally as my new build is currently pre-clearing a few 3TB drives :)

After spending some time preparing\learning I am on the brink of actually having to do it. Although I am quite confident in the linux environment I suppose I am looking to clarify a few things and possibly benefit from some other peoples experience.

My setup is a HP Microserver N40l (modded with 'TheBay's bios' http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1521657-hp-n36l-microserver-updated-ahci-bios-support.html), inside I have upgraded the ram to 8gb (2x4gb kingston sticks) 5 x WD Green 3TB HDD (1 in the ODD space) and a 128gb kingston SSD from esata-to-sata. I am using a Lexar Echo ZX 8gb (comments?) USB drive to boot unRAID RC4.

I am migrating data from a ReadyNas NV+, DUO (dont ask >:( ) and and old linux box in the hope have having a smaller footprint and less power usage to my data. I also intend to use the server for download purposes (sabnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato and headphones) and to centralise my xbmc database and thumbs. I am also open to offloading a few other duties down the line.

Although I have spent time reading the relevant threads for all of these I would like to clear up a few things:

1) I intend to use the SSD as a cache drive to install apps to and as a temporary download location, from there being moved to the correct share in the array, I also intent to install mysql and the thumb cache for xbmc to this drive. Does anyone forsee any problems\drawbacks with doing this as opposed to mounting it as a non array drive using snap et al?

2) I would like to keep the server as low power as possible, I have read that the HP micro-server does not support s3 sleep. What are my options for maximising the power saving when this little unit is not actively being used?

3) I have set the latest pre clear script to pre clear the drives with its default setting, I searched but could not find if this is correct for WD 3TB, I have read (but not completely understood) the posts concerning advanced format drives and assumed that using the latest RC, the defaults should be fine?

Finally happy to be here!

Hi, after lurking around the forums for a number of months I am finally introducing myself, coincidentally as my new build is currently pre-clearing a few 3TB drives :)

After spending some time preparing\learning I am on the brink of actually having to do it. Although I am quite confident in the linux environment I suppose I am looking to clarify a few things and possibly benefit from some other peoples experience.

My setup is a HP Microserver N40l (modded with 'TheBay's bios' http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1521657-hp-n36l-microserver-updated-ahci-bios-support.html), inside I have upgraded the ram to 8gb (2x4gb kingston sticks) 5 x WD Green 3TB HDD (1 in the ODD space) and a 128gb kingston SSD from esata-to-sata. I am using a Lexar Echo ZX 8gb (comments?) USB drive to boot unRAID RC4.

I am migrating data from a ReadyNas NV+, DUO (dont ask >:( ) and and old linux box in the hope have having a smaller footprint and less power usage to my data. I also intend to use the server for download purposes (sabnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato and headphones) and to centralise my xbmc database and thumbs. I am also open to offloading a few other duties down the line.

Although I have spent time reading the relevant threads for all of these I would like to clear up a few things:

1) I intend to use the SSD as a cache drive to install apps to and as a temporary download location, from there being moved to the correct share in the array, I also intent to install mysql and the thumb cache for xbmc to this drive. Does anyone forsee any problems\drawbacks with doing this as opposed to mounting it as a non array drive using snap et al?

Sounds fine.  You can designate specific shares as "cache only" and they will be perfect for storing your other add-on apps.  Just be certain that you do not start those apps until after the array has finished mounting the cache drive, and stop them before it attempts to un-mount the cache drive when stopping.  The "events" present in current unRAID versions are there for that purpose (once all the plugin packages are written to use them properly)

2) I would like to keep the server as low power as possible, I have read that the HP micro-server does not support s3 sleep. What are my options for maximising the power saving when this little unit is not actively being used?

Turn it off.  ;) or use a different motherboard/NIC/BIOS that dies support s3 sleep.  Be aware, unRAID itself does not support it officially, even though some hardware does seem to work.  Other hardware does not wake up properly... with disks, video, and or network interface adapters not being initialized properly after a power down.

3) I have set the latest pre clear script to pre clear the drives with its default setting, I searched but could not find if this is correct for WD 3TB, I have read (but not completely understood) the posts concerning advanced format drives and assumed that using the latest RC, the defaults should be fine?

Finally happy to be here!

3TB drives can only be set up/precleared for a GPT partition.  Any "-a" or "-A" option given to the pre-clear script would be ignored regardless.  As long as you have version 1.13, you'll be fine. (1.13 is the latest version as of this post)

Archived