Replaced a single disk for a larger one, Major Problems

Hi Everyone,

First time poster but long time user of Unraid.  I have replaced smaller disks with larger ones with out any issue, but last weekend while replacing an older 500GB hard drive with a 2TB one I ran into a major issue.  I will try and be as detailed as possible.  My apologize for not providing a syslog, prior to the drive failing.  Attached is my latest syslog. Running Unraid version: 5.0-rc5

1.  Before I added the new hard drive, I did do a parity check, all seemed fine.  Read rate was normal, no errors reported on any of the drives.  I have a 15 Hard drive array with around 15TB of storage. 

2.  Before added the new drive to the array, I did a preclear, no issues reported.  Everything seemed fine in the smart logs etc.

3.  I then stopped the array, turned off the server and proceeded to replace the 500GB with the new 2TB one.

4.  Unraid saw the new drive and proceeded to reconstruct the contents into the new drive, this is when I left the room and let it do its thing.  Write speeds were normal.

5.  Next morning I tried to log into the webgui but couldn't.  Server was completely frozen web side.

6.  My server runs headless, so I proceeded to plug in a monitor and keyboard, was able to get a prompt.  Sent shutdown commands, nothing. Server wouldn't shutdown.

7.  Held power for 5 sec to get the server to turn off.

8.  Rebooted and saw that one of my drives was timing out, traced it back to one of my Seagates LP ST2000DL003 2TB drives.  This is not the new drive, but an older drive that until now has never given me errors or issues.

9. After the pc timed out the port it went ahead and continue to boot into unraid.  At this point am able to access the webgui and notice that the array is not up showing as to many missing disk prompt.  The Seagate 2TB drive is missing, which is expected as it is not showing in the BIOS.  The new 2TB drive is showing with an orange icon next to it. 

10.  I went ahead and tried to troubleshoot the seagate drive (checked connectors, power, sata, tried in a different pc etc) nothing, seems to be a common issues with this drive.  http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-Barracuda/ST2000DL003-Barracuda-Green-not-detected-at-BIOS/td-p/87154

11.  At this point am pretty sure the seagate drive is dead,  so I went ahead and removed the new drive and put back the old 500GB drive which is still un touched after removing it earlier to replace it with the newer 2TB drive.  Hoping that I can still bring the array back online,  But unraid picks it up as an incorrect drive and calls for the newer one.

12.  At this point am stuck

So my question is, is there any way to revert back to the old 500gb drive and preclear the new drive again so i can use that to replace the broken seagate drive and recover my data??

Thanks for any help that i can get.

syslog.txt

• 5 weeks later...