[SOLVED][5.0-rc8a] How does one Parity-Swap?

Okay, I had a 2T disk blue ball, it's done it multiple times so I've gone to buy a replacement, however the new 3T is bigger than my 2T parity, so Main is suggesting to Parity-Swap, what exactly is this? If I power down and physically move Parity to the old blue ball and the new 3T to Parity, I get the same message, to try Parity-Swap.

If I keep them as is, and swap then hit refresh on the Main page, I get too many disabled disks.

Okay, I had a 2T disk blue ball, it's done it multiple times so I've gone to buy a replacement, however the new 3T is bigger than my 2T parity, so Main is suggesting to Parity-Swap, what exactly is this? If I power down and physically move Parity to the old blue ball and the new 3T to Parity, I get the same message, to try Parity-Swap.

If I keep them as is, and swap then hit refresh on the Main page, I get too many disabled disks.

Send an e-mail  to [email protected]

It sounds like you are doing it correctly, but Tom should be able to give specific instructions for the 5.0 release.

Since unRAID now tracks disks by the model/serial number moving a disk physically does not have the effect it did when it tracked disks by their disk controller port.

I would stop the array, assign the new 3TB drive as parity, the old parity drive as the data drive.  It should then let you start the array.  The "refresh" at that point might not have the same effect at that point.  Perhaps you must not refresh... I honestly do not know.

For now, get advice from Tom.  Post his answer here for others to benefit too.

One more thing, as far as I know, to show as "blue" the disk had to fail when written to, (it would then be "red") and then the array stopped and re-started with it still failing, and then stopped and re-started with it responding, (it would forget its old serial number) and then it would be blue. (detected as a new disk) 

It might be the disk, but it is as likely to be a poor connection on a data or power cable, or power splitter, or drive tray, or backplane, or a power supply unable to keep up with the power demands of the disks.

Joe L.

Hi Joe, thanks for the quick reply.

I had another crack at it just now after reading your reply (messing around isn't too much of an issue as the data isn't critical), this time starting the array with a missing disk then stopping it, forcing the disk to red ball. The Parity-Swap process now works as intended with the option available, and I've started the copy/expand/rebuild.

Hi Joe, thanks for the quick reply.

I had another crack at it just now after reading your reply (messing around isn't too much of an issue as the data isn't critical), this time starting the array with a missing disk then stopping it, forcing the disk to red ball. The Parity-Swap process now works as intended with the option available, and I've started the copy/expand/rebuild.

The actual name of the process is "swap-disabled" so yes, the disk to be replaced must be marked as "disabled" (red indicator) before starting on the process.  Un-assigning it, or un-plugging it would do it.

Glad you figured it out.

Joe L.