'new parity drive installed' - but I haven't

I started up unraid (after a clean shutdown) and the array wouldn't start. It said I'd installed a new parity drive but I hadn't.

I've attached the syslog from the startup this morning, along with the smart report for sda which is the one reporting the issue - this seems ok but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for other than the main items mentioned in the wiki.

All drives are 2TB western digital greens - 5x2TB in a HP microserver (four in front bay, 1 in top optical bay with adapter)

Any suggestions?

syslog.txt

smart.txt

There have been 12 emergency power off retracts.

Unless you've had a lot of power outages, or just hit the switch on occasion, then you might look for an intermittent power/drive-tray connection to the drive.

192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032  200  200  000    Old_age  Always      -      12

For unRAID to think it is new (now), it had to have been booted previously with it disconnected (not responding)

Joe L.

ok, will look into that thanks - there shouldn't have been any power outages - we've had some short periods where the power was off but I have a UPS that covered that.

If it had powered up with the drive not being connected, how do I proceed once checking connections etc - trust it/check parity/something else?

ok, will look into that thanks - there shouldn't have been any power outages - we've had some short periods where the power was off but I have a UPS that covered that.

If it had powered up with the drive not being connected, how do I proceed once checking connections etc - trust it/check parity/something else?

Since it is the parity drive, I would just let it rebuild parity.  (It will just be writing what is already there, so no real change to the parity calcs on the disk other than what might not have been correctly written when the disk went missing.

Joe L.