SOLVED: Problem writing to server; reiserfsck recommends running rebuild-tree;

sheppp

I can no longer write/copy items to my older 4.7 server. Although I originally thought that it might be a permissions issue because of the "You need permission to perform this action" messages that pop up, I'm not so sure any longer. FYI, I've gone in and attempted to change permissions via the telnet screen utilizing info from previous forum posts, but none have worked for me. My syslog seems to indicate a problem with drive 15, so I ran a "reiserfsck --check" on it. The results are as follows:

reiserfsck --check started at Sat Feb  9 14:46:10 2013

###########

Replaying journal: Done.

Reiserfs journal '/dev/md15' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions replayed

Checking internal tree.. \/  1 (of 165|/  2 (of  86-block 2041700: The level of the node (0) is not correct, (1) expected

the problem in the internal node occured (2041700), w/  2 (of 165\block 2041701: The level of the node (0) is not correct, (2) expected

the problem in the internal node occured (2041701), whole subtreefinished

Comparing bitmaps..vpf-10640: The on-disk and the correct bitmaps differs.

Bad nodes were found, Semantic pass skipped

2 found corruptions can be fixed only when running with --rebuild-tree

###########

reiserfsck finished at Sat Feb  9 14:49:38 2013

The "Troubleshooting Guide" recommends seeking assistance here before proceeding to run "rebuild-tree". I have attached the last quarter of my syslog since the entire log is too big to be uploaded into this forum.

FYI, this system is not what is in my signature. This system is a Norco 4224 with an ASUS P7P55D-E Pro MB, CORSAIR XMS3 4GB, Intel Core i5-660, SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8 (x2), multiple 2TB drives, and UnRAID v4.7 Pro.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

syslog.txt

Thanks mbryanr. I was afraid of that. After seeing the warnings about doing the --rebuild tree steps "perfectly", I became a bit concerned. My Linux skills are far short of "perfect".

When I searched the forums, I noticed this --rebuild tree business cropping up quite often. I also found that, although there seems to be plenty of fairly clear info re "reiserfsck --check", once you get to the actual "--rebuild tree" process, things seem to get a bit more convoluted (which seems strange since it is the piece of the puzzle that has the most warnings of doom and gloom). It would be nice if there were was a script or detailed instructions for idiots like me (with the exact steps - in one place) of how to do this without screwing it up. I can't emphasize enough that these instructions need to be aimed at people who barely know how to copy files in Linux without having to look up the command - especially since it sounds like this command can cause lots of damage.

Of course, if the goal is to keep a great product like UnRAID as a niche piece of software for those that are fairly proficient in Linux, then what is out there in the forums is sufficient. I am merely saying that when something goes wrong for a novice like me, it gets pretty lonely and depressing knowing that a big chunk of data could be wiped out with 10-20 seconds worth of typing.

I don't want to continue feeling this way. I doubt that I'm alone.

Mbryanr, I can't thank you enough. This rebuild-tree command process worked without any further problems - and seemed much simpler than I anticipated. Again, the dire warnings had me worried. Ultimately, however, everything worked out. People like you are what make this forum great - and a good part of the reason that I continue to stick with UnRAID.

Archived