[SOLVED] Question on SMART Disk Health

I am using 4.7 and when I go to unMENU and click "Short Smart Test" it tells me that it will be finished in 2-3 minutes. If I click "Smart Status Report" before the 2 minutes are up it still displays a report. The report does not show a time when the last test was ran (unless I am missing it).

1. Is that report a previous  report?

2. When I run smart test and it gives me a time it will be finished, should I wait a few minutes after that time to get the new report?

I am using 4.7 and when I go to unMENU and click "Short Smart Test" it tells me that it will be finished in 2-3 minutes. If I click "Smart Status Report" before the 2 minutes are up it still displays a report. The report does not show a time when the last test was ran (unless I am missing it).

1. Is that report a previous  report?

2. When I run smart test and it gives me a time it will be finished, should I wait a few minutes after that time to get the new report?

Towards the bottom of the smartctl report is a section for the self-tests:

Immediately after issuing a "short" test request, a subsequent smart report shows (on one of my disks):

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error

# 1  Short offline      Self-test routine in progress 90%    18962      -

It had initially said to wait 1 minute before looking for the results:

Sending command: "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in off-line mode".

Drive command "Execute SMART Short self-test routine immediately in off-line mode" successful.

Testing has begun.

Please wait 1 minutes for test to complete.

Test will complete after Wed Apr 24 09:01:54 2013

After a minute it showed:

Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error

# 1  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    18962        -

The short test completed without error.

Asking for a "long" test results in this in that same section of the smartctl report

# 1  Extended offline    Self-test routine in progress 90%    18962        -

# 2  Short offline      Completed without error      00%    18962        -

It said to wait 255 minutes, but I think that is just the max it can say in the report.  It might take longer.

The server must not spin down the disk, or the "long" test will abort.  (you must disable spin-down for it to complete)

Yes, wait the suggested elapsed time, but you can check to see if it is completed at any time. No harm is done.

The time the last report was run is there (crudely) as the Lifetime(hours) when it was run.

The "long" report shows as "Extended offline" in the report.  It also is a tiny bit misleading, as it obviously cannot cannot be done with the first 10% of the disk in just a few minutes.  I read it as being IN the first 10% of the disk rather than 90% remaining.

Thanks! I never noticed that before. Also, one of my Hard Drive gives me a  Reallocated_Sector_Ct of  1. From what I have read there is nothing that can be done about that. I should just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't keep going up. Is that correct?

Thanks! I never noticed that before. Also, one of my Hard Drive gives me a  Reallocated_Sector_Ct of  1. From what I have read there is nothing that can be done about that. I should just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't keep going up. Is that correct?

If already re-allocated, nothing you can do.  The disk has basically repaired itself.    Yes, keep an eye on it, and look out for sectors pending re-allocation.

Archived