menu.c32: not a COM32R image error when upgrading / futzing around

I upgraded to rc-16c (from 5 or 8, I think) yesterday and in doing so have created a problem.  I now can't boot.

When I upgraded by copying bzimage and bzoot, the server hung.  I thought that the usb drive may have gotten damaged somehow (the system is headless, so I couldn't see what was going on) so I brought it to my laptop and ran make_bootable.bat.  Still no luck booting.

Today I brought home a monitor and realized it was my cmos battery that died, so I fixed up the bios and rebooted to be greeted by this error which I gather is related to syslinux.

I'm at a loss as to where to go from here.  I've run make_bootable.bat again and the drive still won't boot.  Any suggestions about how to get it back up and running?

Would copying all the files off, formatting, copying the files back, and running make_bootable.bat be an awful idea?

edit: ok, glad I didn't do anything stupid(er).  I found the version of menu.c32 that matched the newer version of syslinux.exe I copied over in the unraid install, once the two matched up it booted fine.