Onboard LAN not working for Unraid

Sittler27

I installed the Unraid server and can get it to boot up fine to the prompt.  Login with "root" and no password and all.

My onboard GigE LAN from the mobo (Asus P5QL Pro) is connected to a switch.  I don't even see a network light on the switch port that its connected to.

I've enabled the onboard LAN in the BIOS and I've tried a couple different network patch cables, but still nothing.  Obviously, I can't reach the Unraid server from another computer using //tower either, since I don't even get an active flashing light on the switch.

Any suggestions?  Should I just go get a cheap NIC and use that? 

Please help, I've been trying to fix this for days now!

Sounds like you have already diagnosed the problem, a bad NIC on the board.  Adding a cheap NIC would confirm it, and 'fix' the problem.  Another way to confirm a bad NIC is to copy and post your syslog, see my sig for the Troubleshooting link.

You can also try the Networking section of the FAQ, and learn more about your networking, particularly what driver it is using.  If no driver, then no valid NIC found and configured.

I found the problem to that fact that the switch wasn't recognizing it:  in the BIOS in the AI tool I had to set Enabled on "recognize atheros LAN cable" or somethinng like that.

Now that I have the NIC active (at least in hardware), I still cannot reach \\tower across the network after booting and loggin locally into the Unraid server.

All I get is www.tower.com , the website instead of the server console.

How do I make sure or verify that the server has it's network services running, as right now I don't think the unraid server is working on the network, even though the NIC is active now.

When I type:  telnet tower into a command prompt from another PC I get an error about couldn't connect and port 23 or something.

I installed the Unraid server and can get it to boot up fine to the prompt.  Login with "root" and no password and all.

My onboard GigE LAN from the mobo (Asus P5QL Pro) is connected to a switch.  I don't even see a network light on the switch port that its connected to.

I've enabled the onboard LAN in the BIOS and I've tried a couple different network patch cables, but still nothing.  Obviously, I can't reach the Unraid server from another computer using //tower either, since I don't even get an active flashing light on the switch.

Any suggestions?  Should I just go get a cheap NIC and use that? 

Please help, I've been trying to fix this for days now!

Once you log on as "root" type this command to see if the flash drive was properly mounted.  If it was not, then the network will not be initialized, no matter what you try changing ports or cords.

Type:

mount

It should show something like this:

mount

fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)

usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

/dev/sda1 on /boot type vfat (rw,umask=066,shortname=mixed)

Most important is that last line showing a drive mounted at /boot.  It might be a different device, it could be /dev/sdb, or /dev/sdc, etc... but it must be mounted at /boot for the network to be configured and initialized.

That specific device used (mounted) is the one with the UNRAID volume label.  If you did not set it correctly, or it is not recognized correctly, then it will not be mounted, and you will not get a network connection.

To see if the volume label was found, type:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-label

It should look like this if the volume label was found:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-label

total 0

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Dec 31  2001 UNRAID -> ../../sda1

Again, the specific device may be different on your server.  As you can see, the UNRAID volume is "sda1" on my server.

If you see the flash drive mounted in the mount command, you can try the following commands and post their output. 

They will let us know if the network interface was recognized at all.

ethtool eth0

ethtool -i eth0

my output:

ethtool eth0

Settings for eth0:

Supported ports: [ TP ]

Supported link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 1000Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: Twisted Pair

PHYAD: 0

Transceiver: internal

Auto-negotiation: on

Supports Wake-on: umbg

Wake-on: g

Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)

Link detected: yes

and

ethtool -i eth0

driver: e1000

version: 7.3.20-k3-NAPI

firmware-version: N/A

bus-info: 0000:01:01.0

typing mount returns what you pasted there, so it is booting properly (sdc1 on /boot type vfat

typing ls-l /dev/disk/by-label confirms the device is UNRAID and properly setup

HOWEVER

typing either ethtool eth0 or ethtool -i eth0 returns messages that state there is "no such device" on all the lines of info returned.

typing mount returns what you pasted there, so it is booting properly (sdc1 on /boot type vfat

typing ls-l /dev/disk/by-label confirms the device is UNRAID and properly setup

HOWEVER

typing either ethtool eth0 or ethtool -i eth0 returns messages that state there is "no such device" on all the lines of info returned.

That indicates to me that unRAID does not have a driver that supports the built in network interface on that motherboard.

An inexpensive network card is probably your best bet unless you find a different BIOS option to enable the built-in one differently.

Joe L.

Doing a quick search on google, it seems that your motherboard needs the "atl1e" driver... I don't think it is in unRAID.

You could e-mail Tom at Lime-Technology and ask it be considered for inclusion in the future, but he usually does that for popular chipsets...  It will depend on how many people use the same MB.

Joe L.

Archived