Validate Installation Steps

I am a newbie to unraid, so I'd like someone to validate my install steps so far to ensure I haven't missed anything:

1.  Built server to the point of being able to login and see the unraid admin utility via //tower

2.  I have just two disks (1 parity and 1 data).  Mounted both disks and started the array, and let it run parity.  I didn't see an option to "clear the disks", so i didn't do that...should I have? and if so how?

3.  Moved all my required data files over the ethernet network to disk 1 in unraid.  I can now see all the files on disk 1 through network on a connected PC.

I've made it this far up until now.

Here's what I plan to do next:

4.  Delete all data on the source disk I had added the data to unraid from.

5.  Remove it from my PC, and add it as "disk 2" in the array.

6.  Mount it.  Should I then have an option to "clear the disk"?

that's it.

After I do that, will unraid take any data moved to that disk and make parity of it?

Sounds good. The first disk didn't get cleared because you were doing an initial build with a new parity.

You will have to clear the next drive when you add it. If there is already valid parity then you have to clear a new drive to not "break" the parity. Adding a cleared drive keeps the array protected.

You may want to run parity again to confirm the disks are OK before deleting any data. Then, you may want to look at the smart data for the drives to see if anything odd is being flagged.

You don't need to delete the data or anything on the old disk. It will get cleared when you install it in Unraid.

Peter