Parity drive failure

Ok so my first red ball disk in the three years I've been running unRAID, not bad :)

My system is made up of six 2Tb drives and as my parity has failed I guess I might as well replace with the largest drive supported now in unRAID, I assume this is 4Tb. Is there a recommended drive manufacturer and type that people are using?

I assume until I have the new drive ready to go I should do anything to the system like reboot? Is there any risk of it not coming back up?

When I replace the parity drive should I install the new whilst keeping the old in so I can do the preclear? I'm just thinking will unRAID panic if the parity drive is removed and no replacement is present?

Basically, anything I should be aware of as far as steps before I start?

The largest SATA drive that exists (I believe) is 6T made by Hitachi. It is filled with nitrogen or something. It is also crazy expensive.

I saw a Toshiba 5T drive in the good deals section, but there is no experience with that drive.

I think either would work, but you are right, 4T is the largest normal size used here.

BUT, I would not be so fast to assume that your red balled parity has failed. Having a drive go out like a light bulb is very rare. It is much more common for a cable to wiggle loose or a power splitter to fail. Check the cabling to the drive. Reboot and do a smart report on the drive and post it here. If there are signs of it failing, I'll recommend to replace it. Otherwise, you might just want to rebuild your parity.

Archived