Motherboard LAN Compatibility, ATHLOS?

magistratee

I am new to unRAID and was wondering if you can answer some questions.  I am looking around for a board to start my unRAID server and checking about compatibility int the posts I have been reading.  I found that some of the motherboards gigabit LAN were incompatible in some cases.  There are Realtek, Marvell, etc...  Has anyone heard of the gigabit LAN chipset ATHLOS?  I found this on the ECS boards.  I haven't found any posts on this and was wondering if anyone has used boards with this and how does it fair.  Should I just stick with a board with the realtek, marvell, ... LAN or use a board with ATHLOS on it.  Really appreciate the help.  Thanks.

lionelhutz - I am going to play with the intial unRAID version then when I get a hang of it upgrade.  I am currently just looking for a board w/ gigabit and at least 6 SATA ports.  Thanks for the recommendation but I am looking for an intel board cause i have a celeron 430.

RobJ - Thanks for the reply.  Maybe it was just a typo then cause on this board ECS P43T-A2 the ECS site said that it had Athlos L1. 

Looks like ECS has corrected it here.  The board chipsets look like they are compatible, except I don't recall anyone using the JMB368 IDE channel. 

However, we can't recommend a board until someone has confirmed full compatibility with unRAID, even better confirmed a month of usage with completed parity checks.  So although the board looks OK, there is no guarantee here, because sometimes there are hidden 'gotchas', BIOS problems or USB boot issues or strange drive incompatibilities etc...

Thanks for the help and the recommendations.  I am trying to find good deals around.  I just found a good deal for an MSI P45 Neo3-FR for $50 at fry's so I am gonna try at that for now (said it was being discontinued).  I am gonna make another post with other questions hopefully you can help me there too =p.  Thanks.